seeking your suggestions

seeking your suggestions

May I please take advantage of your collective knowledge and experience? I’m involved in a winter pageant for lack of a better term, kind of a cross between a Choral concert and variety show. Here’s my request. The director has asked if I could play a "minor jig type thing" while a group of devils (20 ten year olds with horns and pitch forks)dance across the stage. I have few minor tunes in my repertoire, but I thought it would be interesting to hear your suggestions. I guess this is what I’m looking for. I don’t believe the tune actually needs to be a jig, just a dark haunting sounding melody, and it should be relatively simple as I may have to teach it to a young fiddle player on short notice. I will be playing a mandolin incase that influences your suggestions..

Posted by .

Re: seeking your suggestions

How bout Dever the Dancer? slip jig. I remember playing that once while there were dancers in glow in the dark skeletons dancing, it was cool! Although I dunno if it works for boys dancing slip jigs???

Another slip jig - Paddy Cronin had a crooked old Scottish setting of ‘Fig for a Kiss’. It’s on Breanndan Begley and Caoimhin o’Raghallaigh’s little album FYH, and might be up on Caoimhin’s myspace page too, for a listen.

Reels? The Tempest. D minor is so underplayed!

—DtM

Hi fife,
You may want to give a quick listen to Abbot Bromley’s Horn Dance http://www.kitchenmusician.net/smoke/abbots.html
This is not my favorite interpretation, but the sheet music versions all seem to cost money…

It’s a genuinely spooky sounding tune. 🙂

"Stonehenge" by Spinal Tap is the ideal tune.

Tuttle’s is a D minor reel that should keep the little divils capering, and shouldn’t be too hard on the young fiddler.

Posted by .

A slip jig called ‘The Butterfly’ seems to be an appropriate haunting type of tune for such an occasion. Strange how the slip jig seems to fit ten year olds with horns and pitchforks, as opposed to the double jig ‘The Rambling Pitchfork’..

How about Trip to Pakistan?

never work with children or animals

St Annes reel played in a minor key==called satans reel. You will find it on the Hockley valley music camp web site under the section of ‘evil fiddle tunes’

I think Jump at the Sun (J. Kirkpatrick) might be suitable.

Posted by .

Tamlin is the spookiest tune I know. And simple.

THank you very much, all of you. I had already been thinking about The Butterfly, Tamlin is a GREAT IDEA, and I can’t believe I didn’t think of Stonehenge. I’v just returned from rehearsal, and now have a visual idea of what’s happening. I am now going to open a beer, fill my pipe, and take a look at the rest of your ideas. I greatly appreciate you input.

Happy New Year
Marc Bernier

Posted by .

I’m late to the party, but what about One Too Many, followed by Tam Lin?