Uilleann Piper, Mickey Dunne

Uilleann Piper, Mickey Dunne

We’ll all have seen and heard pipers such as Paddy Moloney, Liam O’Flynn, Davy Spillane, etc. However, I think it’s accepted that the piping tradition has been heavily influenced by the travelling pipers of yesteryear and the Dunne family would have been amongst these. This clip at http://comhaltas.ie/music/detail/comhaltaslive_237_3_mickey_dunneon_uilleann_pipes_playing_the_bucks will be of interest, if like me, you haven’t had the opportunity to have seen Mickey in action before.

Re: Uilleann Piper, Mickey Dunne

I agree whole heartedly. He taught at the 2006 San Francisco Tionol and spoke on Felix Doran’s influence on him and his family. He’s also contributed to the Travelers’ site. He was SOOOOO patient teaching- made you want to play well. And, he’s a fine fiddle player as well.

Posted by .

I understand that there are a number of musicians in the Dunne family - does anyone know if Niamh Dunne who sings with Beoga is Mickey’s daughter?

Mickey Dunne is one of the world’s really nice people and greatest pipers. I had the great fortune to meet Mickey many years ago when I was recommended to his session at Nancy Blakes in Limerick. What a great bunch of people, very friendly and welcoming. Limerick seems to have very mellow music (Nancy Blakes was the first place I had every heard the song Bonny Woodhall). I was invited to play my pipes, which sounded great in that company. Memories of a lifetime. Not only did Mickey take great pains late into the night after the session trying to find/make another reed for my pipes (at my request), but then put me up for the night at his home, where I had the privilege of meeting his lovely family. His daughters were very young then, and only just starting the music I think. A great guy altogether; I wish we could hear more of him, and he would tour the country.

This is Mickey’s website, (I don’t think there is any link to it above); http://www.mickeydunne.com/index.html

Mickey actually gave me a copy of his tape Limerick Lasses way back then. There is a tune on there, I think it is Maguire’s March (aka The Lonesome Jig) which I have played ever since, and put it with O’Sullivan’s March, which seems to go over really well. I was always looking for the perfect third tune to go with it - had thought of Girl of the Big House, but have never settled on anything in particular. Any suggestions very welcome.

It would be Niamh who is in Beoga.

That says it all DD - she’s a great singer and it proves the old adage that "an ounce of breeding is worth a ton of feeding"

Niamh (Mickey’s daughter) who is in Beoga.

I have not heard Beoga or Niamh sing yet, Bannerman (having only recently become aware of Beoga). They were only tiny girls at the time I met them. It is a lovely family.
(I have actually emailed Mickey to ask him to please tour our country.) Mickey is a talent who is not anywhere near the profile that he deserves. If we can all get him to tour our countries, our musical world would be the much better for it. Maybe if we all asked?

Great idea DD - I’ll do my bit by twisting a few arms here in the Banner county!

The Banner county of my own ancestry, Bannerman! (Carhuclogh, Ennistymon, there you go!)

Get our man Mickey on the road please do…he is a great talent, and a great man to be with.

Actually, Liadan and Mickey Dunne would be an absolutely great pairing for a tour. They’re all coming from the same space. If someone would ask I think it could happen.

Mickey Dunne… I bought a copy of The Limerick Lassies yrs ago in Dingle and used to listen to it in my camper van on the M5 going to and from work in England - i was going through a hard breakup at the time and and it was incredibly therapeutic for some reason - i used to play it really loud with the windows down like a heavy metal album and some of the looks from other drivers at traffic lights were priceless!!
the best bit is that when i moved to Dingle the following yr i told my friend (who makes pipes and whistles) about this, and a yr or so later he did some work on M Dunnes pipes and said he told Mickey the story of how his album had helped heal a broken heart on the motorway near Milton Keynes!!

My goodness that’s some great piping. I especially enjoy the quick, tight triplet figures he uses. And the transition between the two tunes is sublime.