What Do You Hate the Most?

What Do You Hate the Most?

So, I’m new to the Session.org, and to avoid meaningless pain, suffering, and unspeakably snarky comments, I would to ask everyone what things bore them, and what do you dislike?
Thank you.

Re: What Do You Hate the Most?

I already dislike this thread.

Could you say more about why you dislike it?

Posted by .

Bodhrans

Asking people what they hate most will only lead them to “meaningless pain, suffering, and unspeakably snarky comments”

folk music

Posted .

Sleepless nights reading and responding to all this stuff.

Aran sweaters and people with pipes extolling the virtues of unaccompanied singing.

D

Daylight.

baiting

wind up alert !!!

Oh, as I roved out one May morning…..nyaaah

I think “The Poet” should give us his list in verse, a bit like “These are a few of my favourite things”, only not. I’ll start off: “Whiskers on folkniks and bright woollen sweaters…”

And…you’re going to do it again…aren’t you…

feardearg…you better go get the No-doze

Polkas. cant stand them. not too keen on hornpipes either. love reels tho.

This Christmas I ate too much goose…

Re: What Do You Ate the Most?

CHOCOLATE!!! ~ MMMMMMMMMM!!! I ATE TOO MUCH CHOCOLATE!!!

Sorry, Chocolate and espresso sometimes has me shouting uncontrollably, though usually sung… 😉

What I really hate is questions, y’ know what I mean?

And incomplete sentences.

Posted by .

Racism and bigotry. and blu tack that wont stick any more!

I hate it when I look in on thesession.org and there’s nothing I feel I’ve got anything worth contributing to except one of those “What do you hate the most?” threads. Moan! Boring!

Very few “new old” tunes being posted on the session.org
Is this a sign of a civilisation in decline (the tunes, that is).

Musos, tunes, instruments, beer, pubs, cold damp islands - all that sort of thing.

More specifically, the frequent occasions in sessions when someone starts to play a tune, indifferently, that has already been played and no-one really wants to play at all. So everyone grinds through it twice, maybe three times, ruled by inertia and day-dreaming their way through the dead time. (Protest can cost effort and risk ill-feeling, sure.)

Which to me happened frequently last weeks, Clear Drops :(

Thanks for the completely irrelevent posted link, wolfbird. I do like that. I’ll buck the trend (and thread) and list things I like: a bodhran (no kidding, I think a well played one adds something nice), polkas, and slides and jigs more than reels for some reason, one-row melodeon, and long walks in the park 🙂 Just trying to be positive!

“classic” rock… zzzzzzzzzzz

Posted by .

“…zzz…”

Oopsy, wrong board 😉

I don’t hate anything because I’m a newcomer to ITM. Maybe when I’ve played at countless sessions I’ll become jaded and develop some strong dislikes. For now, I’m all ears…

Posted by .

Threads with the word “hate” in the title.

Posted by .

bigotry

Posted by .

“Threads with the word ”hate“ in the title.” ~ Kenny

“Hate”! I thought this was about food… Yeah, I also have a strong distaste for the concept of ‘hate’, which always seems to accompany ignorance and a lack of understanding or sympathy… ‘Hate’ is not a low dose, it is a fatal dose…

Serial posters.

Posted by .

The Archers - to be more specific - that tune dum de dum de dum de dum……………

Oh god, yes, me too. I can’t find the “off” button fast enough when that damn tune comes on the radio.

The thing I hate the most is trash, especially plastic. I think the idea of “disposable” objects intended for 15 minutes of use made of a substance that lasts for millennia has to be the stupidest idea ever thought up.

I don’t hate Naomi Wolf (referred to in a link provided by wolfbird); I’m currently reading her book, The End of America: Letter of Warning to a Young Patriot. I think she’s brilliant!

“…Naomi Wolf… I think she’s brilliant!”

Ditto!

Posted by .

too… much… .effort… to… care.

Posted by .

I hate the beer in pubs where I’m playing that isn’t free. No I don’t. I hate the landlord in the pub where I’m playing in which the beer isn’t free . No I don’t. I hate the bodhran player who causes the landlord in the pub to not…….

Bugger. What’s up with my punctuation tonight! Allow me to correct myself. Bodhran “player.”

Love & hate

One got me thinking about the other.
Which got me thinking the unthinkable;
http://users.rcn.com/kyp/banbk95.html

Do you have a similar list of banned books in your art of the world?

I know Ireland would never restrict their own poets.
Musicians . . . that’s another story.

Posted by .

I hate bonxies and arties.

I don’t like sea-sickness either.

As a happily labelled grumpy old man I could fill the board with my dislikes :
Queues and baker’s shops
Those horrible earbuds on MP3 players
The ‘music’ they play when you are connected to a call centre
Assistants in music shops who say ‘Don’t get much call for those these days’
Washing machines that are so noisy they drown out my playing
Musicians who play pseudo-ITM with electric guitars and synthesisers

… Oh my list is endless - this could go on for years.

D

Sobriety

Outrageously expensive fiddle strings

And….plastic.

Celibacy too.

snakes

It must be my upbringing. My ma used to lay into me whenever I used the word ‘hate’… She didn’t like it. She insisted that there was a distinct difference between ‘dislike’ and ‘hate’, that ‘hate’ had a burning passion behind it that was ‘unreasonable’. I guess she drummed it into me enough, along with here dislike for ‘stupid’, that I have ended up believing it. It is a term that as a resuly I don’t use lightly, and if it does come up I have to question myself as to why… Why have I lost it to the point that I’m driven to say I ‘hate’ something? So, I saw the word in the title and there was a bit of the red flag about it. So ma, you’ve converted me with your constant banter and insistence. I don’t use the word ‘hate’ lightly or freely… But there are a slew of things I am not happy with, that I would redily admit I dislike… I dislike my own ignorance. ‘Dislike’ is in this case much easier to live with, less in danger of leading to depression and more likely to leave an opening that I can do something about. ‘Hate’ is by its nature, at least from how my ma drummed it into me, less forgiving, more destructive in an inward rotting sort of way…

Yeah, I know, she brainwashed me… 😏

Damn, must be tired ~ ‘here’ for ‘her’, ‘resuly’ for ‘result’… Good night all!

‘redily’ for ‘readily’ ~ unnnnhhh!!! ~ I HATE IT!!!

Myself, for diving into this thread.
Coming back down to so called reality after the back slapping
beer swilling / rain soaked cameraderie of a great festival.
Flashy showbiz fiddle players (as opposed to dirty fiddle players.)
Boring Dadgad without bass lines or counterpoint or tune relevance.
Mundane English folk songs.
Chubby middle aged opinionated dudes who play nylon strung guitars.

all of this happened at my local session yesterday:

-Brain damaged boozers/druggies who freak out during a session
-Bodhran bangers who offer helpful advice to young musicians
(‘keep it up, you’ll soon get the hang of it’ etc etc)
-People who tell Irish jokes in fake Irish accents (any time),
especially when there are real Irish people sitting at the table
enduring it

I cringe in sympathy.

Where is this session? We need to start and endangered session list… Maybe we can even start up an preservation society. Some actually are very pro-active in environmental issues, working to remove those things that threaten the given environment. I’m all for eating grey squirrels ~ which make a tasty barbecue or curry… 😎

Why hate a thing when you can organize and work to eradicate it?

See, I knew I was in desperate need of a good night’s sleep ~ “an endangered session list” ~ “a preservation society”… Now where did I leave my reading glasses and valium? 😉

If this becomes a trend, I’ll work on it. But I think it was just one of those things - like hitting the resonant weirdness frequency, or in fractal geometry - the ‘strange attractor’. Three people showing up at the same session who, individually, might not have caused problems.

I long to see the opposite happen - like three gun Irish musos showing up with their flutes, fiddles and visas.

By the way, another thing t hat happened yesterday - which I did NOT hate - was a mother bringing 3 little Suzuki fiddlers along to see what a session is like. It’s a shame they had to pick that day.

i don’t hate LOBSTER TELEPHONES!!!!!. i was just one of the last through the doors in the pouring rain on this, the closing evening of the “Salvador Dali: Painting and Film” show at LACMA…..it doesn’t quite make up for having to cancel my planned weekend in SF for the closing weekend of the only American stop in the huge retrospective of one of my all-time faves, surrealist assemblage artist Joseph Cornell, due to scary storms…..but almost.

That was the most disturbing video I’ve ever seen - but somehow the farting makes it seem a bit more human!

Supermarkets

Dow

Posted .

people.

I did hate the fact that Dow, Steve Shaw and Will appear to have disappeared, if that is not some form of double something or other. (appear:disappear)

Steve is back, where oh, where oh is Dow?

I swore I’d take a break but I’m an incredibly weak bastard. And I’m backing Gill on a couple of threads too. Not that the ungrateful sod appreciates it, of course. But that’s life as I know it and want it.

Perfectly good threads that degenerate into a llig/jig arguments having nothing to do with the original thread.

Llig is well worth listening to, old chap. He’s a cantankerous ould sod but he’s worth listening to. The only time he’s not worth listening to is when he’s swearing at me.

Oh, I appologise for arguing about Practicing scales and arpeggios on a thread entitled “Practicing scales and arpeggios”

Posted .

😀

Surely The Archers can’t still be on BBC Radio?
The tune is called Barwick Green Maypole Dance.

“Oh, I appologise for arguing about Practicing scales and arpeggios on a thread entitled ”Practicing scales and arpeggios"

so you should 😛

you should be doing that sort of thing in the “Let’s Argue About Whether We Should Practise Scales and Arpeggios” Thread

Posted .

Keeping relevant to the source of this question, this sort of thing ~

“Swallow’s Folly”
Key signature: A Dorian
Submitted on March 30th 2008 by APH.
https://thesession.org/tunes/8396