Brady/Irvine album to be recreated live

Brady/Irvine album to be recreated live

Just got this news from Matt and Shannon Heaton. Unfortunately, I’m nowhere near the Boston area, but it might be of interest to some. If any of you attend, I’d love a report back!

—snip—
5th ANNUAL BOSTON CELTIC MUSIC FEST: If you live in Boston, don’t miss this weekend of great music… Over 25 bands THIS WEEKEND, Jan 11-12, at venues in Harvard Square and Medford. Here’s when M+S will be playing:

* Sat, 11:30am, Club Passim: Matt and fellow guitar wizard Flynn Cohen play the seminal Paul Brady/Andy Irvine album from 1977! One of the more ambitious and inspired tribute projects to date…

* Sat, 3:45pm, First Parish, parlor stage: Matt, Shannon, and Kieran Jordan present Feet/Flute/Fguitar (with special Faccordion guest, Dan Gurney).

* Sat, 8pm Finale, First Parish, main sanctuary: Many of the weekend’s hot performers will showcase their most showstopper moments at this year’s finale. Be there if you can, or visit BCMFest’s online community at www.myspace.com/bcmfest
—snip—

Cheers,
Michael

Re: Brady/Irvine album to be recreated live

So,ITM has tribute bands too.

But you can see the real thing at "Celtic Connections" in Glasgow in a few weeks time.

Posted by .

I’d pay to see Irvine and Brady,but I don’t see the point in someone else playing the dynamic duo’s music.Why don’t Matt and Shannon Heaton just play their own material? What’s next,The Bootleg Bothy Band? Not Fili? Planx For The Memory?

Dafydd, this may shed a little light on the event:
http://bcmfest.com/uploads/files/irvinebrady.pdf

(As you’ll see, it’s actually a collaboration between Matt Heaton and Flynn Cohen, who is a phenomenal guitar player as well.)
What’s wrong with tributes? They happen all the time at festivals and concerts. Besides, as I recall, the Irvine-Brady album is out of print and hasn’t been released on CD yet; there are a whole generation of young people who have only had tangential exposure to the album’s content — maybe a pub singer who did "Lakes of Pontchartrain" or "The Jolly Soldier," say.
So here are a few talented people who _do_ regularly play their own material, wanting to do something a little different, and perhaps lend a bit of insight into what was arguably one of the seminal recordings of the modern Irish music revival. It’s a bit of fun, and history. What’s not to like?

Posted by .

PS — You can find out more about BCMFest at
bcmfest.com

Posted by .

I reckon, if a tribute band is out there doing it, there ought to be an even bigger market for the originals.
Why aren’t they doing a toour ?

..or even a tour ?

I still don’t see the point.It would be like going to the The Australian Doors and imagining there’s some connection with the Whisky-A-Go-Go in 1967.That was then,this is now.The album was multi-tracked.What are they going to do,play guitar,bouzouki,mandolin,hurdy-gurdy,harmonica and tin whistle at the same time?If they want to play some of the songs from the album onstage,fair enough,I’ve done it myself in the past,but don’t advertise it as a "tribute" gig.That just seems silly.Go and see the originals at the Celtic Connections festival.My brother will be there and I wish I was going too.A chance to see Paul Brady doing what he does best.A first rate folkie but a second rate rocker.

I’m doing a toour. 🙂

Won’t be released until January 29th.

I heard a rumour that Andy and Paul were going to be doing some gigs together. Don’t know if its true.

Posted by .

I have a video cassette of Andy and Paul doing numbers from their recording on The Pure Drop shortly after releasing it.

Heaven forbid, traditional musicians playing tunes and songs written by others instead of original material. Next thing you know they will be sitting in circles playing tunes so old that no one even remembers who wrote them. 😉
This is not formation of a tribute band, these are two monsterously talented young men who have been studying the work of the ‘old masters’ and it probably occurred to them one day that they knew everything on the old album, so why not?
Flynn is a member of this board, by the way, and if I am not mistaken, had started a thread on Brady’s playing last year to gather some information. And just in the way of disclaimers, I am a former student of Matt’s, and my playing is far better because of it. (And come to think of it, I was a dance class student of Kieran Jordan, one of the few Irish dance teachers in the NE to have the courage to try teaching old dogs some new tricks by holding adult classes.)
I have not had the pleasure of attending BCMFest, but from what I hear it has done a lot to make ITM "cool" in the eyes of many of Boston’s youth, which is hardly a bad thing.

word on the street, they’re doin a gig in dublin 26th this month. tickets ain’t easy to come by, involves begging and pleading

Posted by .

>Go and see the originals at the Celtic Connections festival.My brother will be there and I wish I was going too

OK, and what if people don’t have the bucks or the time or the wherewithal to _go_ to Celtic Connections? And what if there is an opportunity, as our man Al said further up, to hear a couple of monsterously talented guys put on what I expect will be a very well-done show — and one that will be fun to listen to, knowing these aforementioned gentlemen? Really just don’t understand why this is "an issue."

Posted by .

It’s not really an issue.It will be a great night.What I object to is the claim that the album is going to be "recreated live" onstage.It’s not. I have no objection to them playing songs from any album they like.And Al,it is a tribute band.A quote from the publicity.
"On Saturday, January 12, BCMFest will present Flynn Cohen and Matt Heaton playing "A Tribute to Andy Irvine and Paul Brady," their take on the eponymous 1977album"

‘Cohen and Heaton say they’re working hard at what Heaton calls a “faithful recreation” of the album:’ Why? I’d much rather hear them playing their own music.It just seems like a pointless exercise to me.

Like when Gus Van Sant remade psycho scene by scene…..why?

Its not as if they are dead, and it might never actually happen.

Imitation is the highest form of flattery in any art form; and frankly, that’s how you learn to play trad anyway. Show me a fiddle player - or any musician worth their salt - who hasn’t learned to play a tune note-for-note from a recording of his/her idol. A major part of my undergraduate music education was transcribing and playing solos: jazz, trad, bluegrass, etc. With each learned solo, I saw my whole musicianship improve and grow in a new direction.

I’ve transcribed tunes from albums,but tunes aren’t solos.Solos are personal,what is the point in learning someone else’s solo? I think I’m worth my salt,and I’ve never copied another musician’s solo in my life.I’m self-taught.I think that the giveaway is your phrase "A major part of my undergraduate music education….."
A formal musical education is important in classical music,but it’s a handicap in folk,jazz and blues.If you’re a jazzer and your solos are just rehashes of stuff you’ve learned note for note,then you’re a parrot,not a musician.Imitating somene’s style is not the same thing as learning their breaks.

Jazz and trad are both very structured in their own ways - they depend on patterns and predictable progressions. Studying those patterns in any way - whether in or out of the class - can’t hurt. Learning different settings of tunes from different musicians is the equivalent of a classical musician practicing technical exercises or scales.

Dissecting patterns, studying music theory and playing different styles of music can help you understand explicitly what the "great" players understand intuitively. That being said, only having the explicit, formal knowledge of the music is indeed an impediment. You can play trad with nothing but the intuition and the implicit understanding - and many of the greatest musicians in the world of Irish traditional music do. However, having both explicit understanding and intuitive sense of the music is a good thing too.

What kind of Jazz? Some forms of Jazz have no structure at all.I don’t really agree with you,ITM is highly structured and most Jazz isn’t.You try improvising a Charlie Parker solo around The Kesh Jig at a session and see what happens to you.As I said,there are many forms of Jazz, continually changing and experimenting,but ITM is set in stone.

Just a though: if ITM is so unlike jazz by being "set in stone", we might have to rethink the accomplishments of everyone from the Bothy Band and Planxty to Flook and Beoga. I have to argue that any one of us here could suggest a dozen examples of people, performances, or recordings that could handily illustrate the flexibility of the genre, as well as the trajectory of its ongoing development.

After all, if there were just one way to play every tune, we’d all be in for a long, boring ride to the insane asylum. ; )

However, if ITM *is* set in stone - which implies that at some point a person, performance, or recording did the setting - then I can’t imagine a better way to honor and explore ITM than by faithfully reproducing the work of two of the music’s finest, most widely recognized exemplars.

Just my .02. Which is even cheaper for the Irish than it is for us Americans.

J/

Wow, what a discussion.

Come out to the show and see if you like it— it might just be a **FUN* *way to spend a Saturday morning in the middle of winter—-! (what a concept!)

Which is the main idea behind it, (as well as just sharing the love of the music of Brady and Irvine from that time).

No one needs to get their knickers all in a twister over this—believe it or not, Irish traditional music will survive this cataclysmic event!!! 🙂

Hope to see ya there, Dayfdd!!! There will be no shortage of music that day for you to enjoy- or , I guess, deem fruitless and pointless endeavors. ;)
Hopefully you’ll enjoy seeing the numerous artistic endeavors that have been carved from the same "stone."

e

Andy has said that if Glasgow goes well they may tour. The show will almost certainly be recorded and broadcast, if only in part, on Radio Scotland. I hope they had time to rehearse! Andy’s been on the road constantly for a year or so, as well as recording CDs with Patrick Street and Mozaik.