Any harpers in the Leeds area?

Any harpers in the Leeds area?

Hi everyone. I used to come around here a lot a couple years ago. These days I just lurk once in a while.

Anyway, I’m fairly new to Leeds (UK) and I am looking for other harpers (I also play fiddle) to play with on an informal basis. (A little harping, a little chatting, a little snacking)

I’m originally from the Philadelphia / NJ area which was a hot bed of harp activity, and I’m missing my old harp friends. I hope to make new ones.

Respond here or email me through this site.

Posted by .

Re: Any harpers in the Leeds area?

You could hunt out the Leeds Branch of Comhaltas, Andee. in fact when I think about it, "slainte" used to live there - he might have some contacts. I know 2 musicians who live in the area.
If you’ve no luck, I’ll try to get a contact number for them. Welcome to the UK.

Posted by .

Thanks Kenny. I’ll check out the Leeds Comhaltas branch. I’ll email slainte as well—I didn’t know he once lived in Leeds!

Posted by .

Hmmm, the links to events, news, etc don’t work. Nothing happens when I try to click on contact us either, but I did click on the link to the Leeds Irish Centre, though that doesn’t help much.

I guess I could use a contact number or email of someone.

Posted by .

Hi Andee 🙂

You could try the Irish Arts Foundation, who run the annual Leeds Gathering festival, but are active year-round:
http://www.irisharts.org.uk/

And it looks like Máire Ní Chathasaigh will be there in May - see event 43 on this page:
http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/concerts.htm

If you contact the Irish Centre they should be able to tell you when the next Comhaltas session is.

Hi John!
Thanks for the links. I found out when the Comhaltas sessions are and I’ve put the Maire Ni Chathasaigh concert on my calendar. I’ll check out the Irish Arts Foundation.

Posted by .

Hi Andee,

Can’t help you but it’s nice to have you back again and over here too.

🙂

Hi Andee!
Wow! News indeed! Glad to see you’re this side of the pond. Sorry can’t offer any advice on Leeds harpers though.

Thanks Johnny J and Key Maniac (I had to have a look at your profile to figure out who you were!)!

Posted by .

Hi Andee!
Funny, you’re now in Leeds. There aren’t many harpers, but at least one there. I never saw her in sessions, but she still plays with a band called Damhsa, I think.

The next Ceili Band session will be in the Irish Centre on Feb. 2nd, so have a look. You’ll meet many musicians there. There used to be a mini session every Tuesday, but I heard it’s been quiet these days.

Danny - whom you met at the Catskills a few years ago!

Thank you slainte, I’ll google Damhsa. Harpers are hard to find because there aren’t so many of them and because they don’t go to sessions all that much.

Danny, yes of course—I figured it out pretty quickly! 🙂

Posted by .

Thank you so much John. I actually did check out the Hobgoblin teachers page and contacted a harper from Bradford about a month ago via email but I haven’t heard back from her. I’ll check out the other one as well.

Posted by .