irish songs

irish songs

Since we are generally dedicated to irish dance music here - I am a little off topic, but . . . Can you recommend a recorded source for good, classic irish songs for women? I have some Altan and Solas but I’d like to find one or two cds with lots of good (traditional) vocal songs in English or possibly Gailic (if written words are provided). You guys are so smart - this has got to be an easy request for someone out there.
BTW - I have noticed that many songs sung by women in the irish tradition are actually from the male perspective. Any comments?

Joe

P.S.

That last is because most songs are from the male perspective. There are a few from the female perspective, also sung by both female and male singers.

zls

One more link

The Mudcat.org website, although you’ll get folksong of all traditions there as well as the Irish.

Re: irish songs

Try the Dolores Keane/John Faulkner albums, There was a Maid, Sail Og Rua, and Brokenhearted I’ll Wander. You can’t go far wrong, either in terms of delivery or content.
Regards
Mark

Have a look at the 2 volumes of:

“Holding Up Half The Sky - Voices of Celtic Women”

at http://www.shanachie.com

Mary Black is a great singer and has some solo albums.

One of the best sources I know of--and a bargain to boot--is the large-format collection “The Songs of Elisabeth Cronin”, edited by her grandson, Daibhi O Chroinin. It’s a fantastic collection, meticulously indexed, edited, and transcribed to standard notation, and with 2 CD’s in the back of the book archiving her own performances of the songs. Bess Cronin, along with Sarah Makem and one or two others, was one of the most important source singers for the ‘50s/’60s revival, and you’ll recognize many of the songs from their later versions by the Bothy Band, Seamus Ennis, Planxty, Clannad, etc.

‘Many songs sung by women in the Irish tradition are from the male perspective". .. Aha, try listening to the version of ’By The Banks Of Red Roses‘ on the first (maybe second) DeDaanan LP. It’s sung by a man. The first verse is from him (By the Banks of Red Roses, My love and I …), trhe second verse is from the girl (’When I was a young girl, I heard my mother say…), and from then on it’s narrated by athird party (He took her to his lodge, and he treated her to tea…). And lots of irish songs use ‘floating verses’ tacked on from who knows where, much like blues…
It’s the sign of a mature tradition…

Mary Black is, I agree coyoteybanjo, a fabulous artist, as is Francis Black. Delores Keane, Cara Dillon are also good. I would also highly recommend Kathy Ryan. Enya (sister of the group Clannad, which are also excellent) is also very good, she has an original technique and her music is very relaxing, she sings in english and irish and some songs have no vocals. Btw, Leo Brennan, who is the father of Enya and members of Clannad has a pub up in Donegal in ROI, its a good nite’s craic if anyone is in the area.

How about looking up www.rosheen.net. There are trad songs, new songs and instrumentals of trad and new comps. I am the singer of that band. You can also try the link to our site on LiveIreland.com. Of course I’m preaching for my parish but you might like what we do. We are from Qu