How to do Quebecois foot tapping?Podorythmie?

How to do Quebecois foot tapping?Podorythmie?

Can anyone tell me where I can find out more about learning the Quebecois foot tapping? I’ve spent a chunk of time trying to find more info on the web but no luck. They have a DVD for everything else, why not that. Sorry it’sa little off topic. Is there a Quebecois equivalent to "the session" ( in English)?

Re: How to do Quebecois foot tapping?Podorythmie?

Normand Légault, Quebecois step-dancer, caller, etc., produced a book and a recording, which was primarily step-dance, but covered the basics you can do sitting down as well.

Here’s a rough out of the basic 3s, reels ~ choose whatever foot is best for you to start on. It is a ‘repeating step’. ‘Weight’, where you put the foot down, is shown with parenthesis ~ (-)

Say tried with the reel "La Bistrangue"

3 ~ heel
4 ~ (ball)
1-2 (flat) ~ or ~ (ball)

That could be LLR-, or RRL-, depending on your preference, or you could switch back and forth…

Yes SWFL, & a very nice link… 🙂

He may be doing another variant?

3 ~ (ball)
4 ~ (flat) ~ or ~ (ball)
1-2 ~ heel

My pleasure Mr. C! I find myself inadvertently doing that while playing at sessions. Now at least I know what to call it. Think anyone will buy it? I bet I can fool a few people.

You go throwing around words like ‘podorythmie’ and there’ll be consternation and tribulations… Someone might even slap you… 😉

Throw it? I’ll be lucky to lift it off the ground, it’s huge!

Matapat! Cool stuff! Thanks!

Posted by .

Pascal from the band "Genticorum" does it beautifully, absolutely bulletproof percussion.
They have a website http://www.genticorum.com and are a very friendly crew.
I tried it and failed dismally (foot music that is)

And you can email him personally; pascal@genticorum.com

Genticorum! Excellent! Thanks!

Posted by .

Huh gw, this is madabouttrad’s thread… 😉

If you do write him, give him this link and see if he’ll add something… That would be great.

I can’t figure out the symbols people are using above.
The basic beat seems to hit the eighth-notes but leave out the 2, as in
1 (2) 3 4
1 (2) 3 4.
I don’t know anything about the Quebecois method, but for years I’ve done my own thing, which is:
1 R heel
2 silent
3 R toe
4 L flat
Could someone give the trad Quebecois method giving the R’s and L’s?

This is the first time I’ve tried to work out in text what I do when I’m playing Quebecois tunes. Maybe it’ll translate ok. I’m coming at this from Southern Appalachian flat-foot clogging.
L = Down on the flat of the left foot
rr = two taps made by slightly swinging the foot forward or backward to tap the ball or combination of ball/heel, ball/ball or heel/heel of the right foot. Each direction is one tap equaling one r.
r- = One tap for two counts
R = Down on the flat of the right foot
ALL CAPS in the the rhythm descriptions below = accent or emphasis taps.

First, here’s the thing. The start of the foot action can begin for me anywhere in the foot cycle. Shifting the accent beat from the flat steps to a toe or heel step swings the rhythm. Dropping a tap on the beat from the foot cycle (like Richard D has described) swings it. Varying emphasis from the L to the R swings it. Multiple flat-foot beats work too and sometimes I only tap instead of flat-foot the beat.

A few of the many ways I use my size twelves to accompany the first two bars of St. Anne’s reel (Dmaj note length = 1/8, meter = 4/4)
| fedf edcB | A2FA DAFA |

| LrrR LrrR | LrrR LrrR |
where the foot rhythm is
| ONEtwothreefour ONEtwothreefour | ONEtwothreefour ONEtwothreefour |
or
| r-RL r-RL | r-RL rrRL |
where the rhythm is
| ONE-threefour ONE-threefour | ONE-threefour ONEtwothreefour |
or
| rrRL rrRL | rrRL rrRL |
where the rhythm is
| onetwothreefour onetwothreefour | onetwothreefour onetwothreefour |

Before the tune starts the rhythm could intro like this:
| rrRL rrRL rrRL R—- | With that R—— rattling the shot glasses.

Posted by .

rr = shuf-fle, of which there are a few variations…in this case without giving weight on either of the two contacts…

The ‘basic’ Quebecois way, as I’ve been shown it and seen it, is not a full shuffle, not rr as you’ve shown Laitch. That is more as you’ve said ~ Southern Appalachian flat-foot clogging… But, that doesn’t mean it doesn’t exist as an option, a variation…

As a way of starting, just step, alternating your feet ~

1-2 L (or R if you prefer)
3-4 R (L)

etc…

The extra tap, without weight, that makes it 3s happens between this basic stepping.

The three basic tones, foot contact, you are working with are ~

* Flat, stepping on the full flat of the foot

* Ball (or ‘Toe’), hitting the surface with the front half of the foot, the pad behind the toes

* Heel, hitting the surface with the heel, with the ball and toes off the ground

don’t know how to tell the details on this, but i did learn two tricks: the first is, don’t lift with the thigh, push up with the foot, then you can do this all night.

and second: when we were learning, first, sitting, we tapped the rhythm out with the r hand on the r knee and the l hand on the l knee; then when the hands, and seemingly the brain, had got the rhythm, it was an easy thing to have the feet start doing it too.

hope that makes sense. it helped me; but i could no more do that while playing a tune than i could fly. i keep trying, though…

André Brunet, Québecois fiddler (albums:1,2,3, Les Fréres Brunet; Celtic Fiddle Festival) is my all time favourite foot tapper.

He has impeccable rhythm, boundless energy and ‘joie de vivre’! He taps as energetically in class as in concert or playing for dances. See Google, YouTube /La Belle Catherine.

In Québec, listeners tap, too!

Posted by .

A side view of André’s foot tapping can be seen on You Tube at André Brunet + Martine Billette at Goderich Celtic College

Posted by .

Thanks, one and all , for the good advice. They say that consistantly doing crossword puzzles and learning new languages stave off dimentia in old age. i think translating all your rr, L,~ etc. should count in that catagory also. If I don’t learn to foot tap I’ll at least be warding off dimentia. Thanks.

di who?

-mentia, I think I used to know him, or was it her??? 😏

Another great foot tapper is Nicolas Pellerin of ‘le Bebert Orchestra avec Yves Lambert’. He’s quite exciting to watch when he fiddles and double steps on some tunes. See the Youtube of Nicolas and Fred Pellerin performing Gilles Vigneault’s "Le Chene" for some quick close ups of Nicolas’ feet in action. There are also several Youtubes of the ‘Orchestra’ in action. They also have a Myspace page. Slainte…

Good one Vonnie ~

Nicolas & Fred Pellerin
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=I8j-7fehJYc

& another, plus recordings featuring the stepping ~
Pascal Gemme ~ Genticorum
http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=Mp8MB8jlRdo

http://www.myspace.com/genticorum

& last January a discussion on the same topic ~

Discussion: Foot clapping (podorythm) in sessions!
# Posted on January 3rd 2007 by Carabus
https://thesession.org/discussions/12191

That earlier discussion also features an attempt at describing the stepping, given by Winslow Yerxa…

I have also come across this stepping or similar in other areas of the Canadian Maritimes, including Cape Breton and Newfoundland…

And for those who don’t like the idea of more than one at a time: We played at a session last February where both Andre Brunet and Pascal Gemme put their boards on the floor - tapping simultaneously as they fiddled together. They worked very well together, no worries. It can be done.

Does anyone know the pattern for doing this in three (for jigs)? I’ve heard it on recordings by a couple different Quebecois groups but I’ve never seen it done and haven’t been able to figure out the L-R pattern.

Cest tres bon!

Anyone know any good patterns for jigs other than the one in the video? I can do reels, but funnily enough, just as I’m getting into stepping a whole load of jigs come over the horizon… ;)

Well good luck to the Canadians and their floor stomping traditions BUT please don’t suggest that it should mutate, modify and evolve and become part of what happens at Irish sessions.
People at sessions who insist on bashing their size twelves on the lino are a bloomin’ nuisance! I’m always tempted to get a selection of carpet tiles or samples ready to bung under the feet of those who do it. Or make it session etiquette to play in stockinged feet (Ooh Er Matron!). One should be able to play in time without bloody clomp, clomp, clomp, clomp!

I’ve started trying to crack this, initially working with a metronome to get a proper regularity to the beats. I’ve begun preparing myself for combining with playing by combining the foot action with claps on various beats and then a simple downbeat tap with the right foot whilst playing tunes.

I generally go for a slap-forward-and-back with the right foot with quick lifts in the left approach, admittedly not paying much heed to which part of the foot I use - it’s basically the flat of the foot for both. I’m interested that an earlier post mentions a sort of rolling of the foot to achieve a double tap with the heel and ball - this is what Jean Carignan seems to do with his left foot, differing markedly from his right and achieving a great regularity of physical movement that is dance-like and really suggests he did his practice and integrated it fully with his equally fluid, practiced and sometimes dance-like motions when playing the fiddle. Perhaps having that constant movement in the feet helps integrate it with the music, rather than just being taps at the right moments. 00:30 in the following video is a good example http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=BWWxQ_IAH6Y&feature=bf_prev&list=PL2B0B1CD274C622C3