pick-up for lowden s12

pick-up for lowden s12

Hi, I need to get a pick-up put into a lowden S12. could anyone give me advise on which one would be best????

Posted by .

Re: pick-up for lowden s12

I guess there is no definitive answer to a question like this, but I would ask Lowden what they recommend for their instruments. I have been through an epic journey looking for the right pickup for my guitar and tried 4 or before settling on one. None really gave me the ideal sound and the final result is always a compromise or just use a Mic.
If you are interested in reading the archives about this subject go over to CelticguitarTalk Website and read the discussions there.
Whatever you buy make sure you get it fitted properly by a luthier or repairer who has some interest in this and he may be able to give you some advice as to which is likely to be best for your purposes.

It sort of depends on how you want your instrument to sound. If you want the "acoustic guitar plugged in sound" then there’s a myriad of potential products on the market for not a lot of money. If you want the "my guitar, just louder" sound, you’re realistically looking at a more expensive system. Gear like the LR Baggs iMix or Dual Source, and the Fishman Elipse are quite commonly used by well respected guitarists and give you the option to plug into a DI box then send to the house desk a signal that’s pretty close to 0dB (0dB is the highest clean signal, meaning it needs less processing by the desk which might have crap pre-amps in it). For a professional standard system like those above, you’d pay around £200+, but if it’s a nice sounding guitar that you’re using for performance quite a bit, it’s probably worth it.

The problem or compromise is that if you play in lound ampified venues with other loud Mic-ed instruments and fall-back speakers, you may get problems with feedback once the mic is used on the dual source pcikup. Fine if you are playing solo fingerstyle guitar or with one other instrument that is audible acoustically and there is little need for fall-back speakers.

Google for K&K website.
I have their Pure Western mini soundboard transducers in a Lowden S10 (and another Lowden, and two Fyldes) - lovely acoustic sounds abound. Consists of a 3-head soundboard transducer that you superglue under the bridgeplate and wire out via endpin socket. Easy to fit, though some folks seem wary. Twenty minutes and you’re done, so should be cheap to get professionally fitted. Passive system (no batteries or knobs to clutter up your lovely guitar) with a high output - works well into PA or combo, especially if you can cut the mids somewhat. Great sound.Even better via their outboard Pure XLR preamp. or even a humble Boss eq pedal. The differing acoustic characteristics of my four guitars are represented well when plugged in, and with no fuss at all a good acoustic sound is presented. A considerable improvement on the Fishman and Baggs systems I have tried, and no batteries to go flat when you forget to take the jack out! Feedback has never been a problem in ceilidh band or fiddle guitar duo use, but we use no monitors. Not a problem through AER combo close by to one side either. For those that do use monitoring, try keeping the guitar out of the monitor nearest you and you’ll probably be OK. Have a search through Acoustic Guitar Forum for loads more user info on K&K.
I can also recommend Headway UST as being less obviously piezo-ish than many USTs, though even the control-less systems here need an onboard battery as they are (very hot) active systems. Can be fiddly to install and get a good balance on occasion. Good sound though.
Once I’d tried K&K minis in one guitar, I removed other systems, including Headway, from my other guitars in favour of K&K.
Just my opinions for my guitars and playing circumstances of course!
By all means PM me if you want any further details.
Bye now
Keith

Does it have a compensated bridge? I hear that those sometimes are problematic for piezo-style, under-saddle pickups.

My Lowden has a split saddle. Double trouble for a piezo pickup.

Fishman and Headway do twin element under saddle piezos - no problem except for the extra expense, and the inherent problems of strange piezo sound! My Headway was the best UST I tried in my Lowden O25, but nowhere near as pleasant a sound as K&K minis. (Nope, I don’t work for them, or sell them!!)
Keith

Hmmm, isn’t that sort of like, "No problem, except for the problems"? 🙂

You’re not wrong Bob!
Doh - what I inadequately tried to say was that twin saddles don’t really make piezo USTs any more problematical than they inherently are! 🙂
Keith

I haven’t tried the K&K system, but all the guitarists I talk with who have one have say good things about them. I use a Pick Up the World system (another bridgeplate transducer system) in my Mcilroy and have been quite happy with the quality of the sound.

http://www.pick-uptheworld.com/pickups.htm

Both the K & K and PUTW systems (and others) are available from Shoreline Music. The owner, John Fowler, is a standup guy and will go out of his way to help you find what’s going to work best for you. www.shorelinemusic.com

Cheers,

Jeff