“Celtic Souls” ~ longing for identity

“Celtic Souls” ~ longing for identity

Outlet Recordings - http://www.irishmusicreview.com/discoutlet.htm

This is a great boxed set, 10 CDs from the old Outlet catalogue. I got mine for a fiver, and since then I’ve purchase at least another dozen for around six quid for other folks. But, it is missing something ~ decent sleeve notes. I have some of these in LP and cassette form, but not accessible, sadly. I can’t remember if Outlet actually gave any detail on their sleeve notes, but hope there is. Can you please check your old vinyl and cassettes and see if there are decent notes to help fill out my enjoyment of this great collection of music?

So, that is all this is about, wanting the sleeve notes for the following reissued CDs, and not just for me, also for those dozen others, and a slew more who wisely purchased this lovely little box of audio candy… Maybe there never were any decent sleeve notes, but at least there will be some out there with the LPs that might be able to answer that. And who is F.Gilligan?

Just sit right back & you’ll hear a tale, a tale of a fateful trip
That started from this tropic port aboard this tiny ship.
The mate was a mighty sailing man, The skipper brave & sure.
Five passengers set sail that day for a three hour tour,
A three hour tour

Sorry, back to the issue. Here are those recordings I’d love to see the sleeve notes for, if there is anything…

CD #1 ~ "Seamus Tansey: Traditional Irish Music" / "The Best of Tansey"
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/1074

CD #2 ~ "Finbarr Dwyer: Pure Traditional Irish Accordion Music"
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/1726

CD #3 ~ "John & James Kelly: Irish Traditional Fiddle Music"
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/1567

CD #4 ~ "Tara Folk: Folksongs of Ireland"

CD #5 ~ "Best Irish Ceili Music"
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/2698

CD #6 ~ "Rince: Complete Irish Dancing Sets" / "First Steps and Beyond"

CD #7 & 8 ~ "Festival of Traditonal Irish Music, Volumes 1 & 2"
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/2697

CD #9 ~ "Cherish The Ladies: Peg McGrath, Mary Mulholland & Kathleen Smyth"
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/1069

CD #10 ~ "Armagh Pipers’ Club: Song of the Chanter"
https://thesession.org/recordings/display/1737

This could be another plus addition to the recordings offered here, for older ones, to add any useful and informative sleeve notes to the ‘comments’?!

Re: “Celtic Souls” ~ longing for identity

C where can you get these CD’s from now??

Maybe you could write direct to Seamus Tansey ,he may give you some of his thoughts on his albums ;-)

Amazon.co.uk still has them listed for around 7 quid… My last bulk purchase was through one of the shops there, one that turned out to be in Germany… I’ve just confirmed that ~

Currently ~ £6.99 + £1.24 shipping

I’ve actually been writing notes for one of them today ~ one full of unnamed tunes… :-/

Sounds a good buy to me
Is that each ? or the set ?
If its the set I will be on amazon tomorrow

The full set, all 10 CDs and it is worth it just for one of them, like the Kelly boys ~ sweet fiddling!!!

Sold…Had to pay 7.48 . the 6.99 wouldnt send to My address…. still bargain… nice one C.

Definitely still a bargain! Amazon US wants $37.49USD for the
set. At $3.49 each + shipping this will do wonders for my paltry
collection of traditional recordings. Can’t help with the liner notes
but would appreciate anything anyone posts.

Pity the fact that here, as an import, the price basically doubles.
ah well….

Ordered now waiting for the postman . Thanks Mr C !
Any other bargins let us know :-)
I’m looking for a Bouzouki to leave in France with Flutey so I dont have to trust my beloved Foley to the gorillas that work for Ryan Air so a similar bargin in that department would be most welcome ;-)

Attention North America ~ at that price there may not be any import hassles and even with shipping you’d probably have a better deal than what’s going on there. It’s great to see the turn around, usually you get it for less than we do. I regularly order recordings from Canada and the U.S. for that reason.

I’m still hoping there are folks with the old LP and cassette notes to contribute here, or in the ‘Comments’ for the recordings themselves… I live in hope… I have other connections I’m hoping to follow up, mutual friends of the folks that started up and ran the Outlet Label. I’m also hoping to influence a future box. That’s greed speaking, but what I’m shooting for is a set featuring ‘individual artists’… My palms are sweating! ;-)

Baz ~ start a discussion in search of a backup instrument…

I ended up being thrown out of a future with the guitar, mentally scared, when as a kid, madly in love with my blonde Goya, an airline company reduced it to splinters. I never played guitar again, just stood back and appreciated what others did with it, with a slight pain in the heart that is still there. Maybe I’ll give in some day and give it a go, if just for a bit of quiet strumming in a closet to myself… :-(

There’s a seller on ebay who’s been selling these CD sets for over a year now. His price is £12.99, plus postage and packaging. If you can get them cheaper, then well done, but that’s still a good deal for 10 CDs, although 2 or maybe 3 of them aren’t really all that good.
The reason there are no sleeve notes with the CDs is probably because there were hardly any sleeve notes worth mentioning on the original LP recordings.

Posted by .

Peg McGrath LP sleeve notes by Sean Maguire - "Firstly let me say I hope you get the same, or even some of the pleasure from this first class record that I got. In all my twenty years of playing I clearly state that no finer trio have I listened to with so much pleasure.
KATHLEEN SMYTH - (now Mrs King). You would travel far to find Kathleen’s equal on the violin. This is not surprising as she, like myself, is an ex-pupil of the late madam May Nesbitt of Belfast.
PEG MCGRATH - (Peg Needham) can show anyone how to play Irish music on flute and her playing on this record is the last word.
MARY MULHOLLAND - needs no introduction from me in the world of recording or Irish music. She has a finely tuned sense of harmony and every chord fits the melody.

Anyway I rate this record as one of the best available in the field of Irish music and wish it one hundred per cent success. Congratulations girls, for a job well done."

Recorded 1981. As I’m sure you know Peg McGrath was killed in a road accident quite some time ago.

Kenny, like me, has also ended up giving out these boxes, we value the contents that much…

Thanks Taglione, appreciated, even though it is a few sentences it is still valued… I was pretty sure I’d remembered right that Outlet’s sleeve notes were sparse. I’ll add them to the ‘comments’ if you haven’t already… And the note about Peg McGrath, R.I.P…

Three of the CD’s are compilations and involve umpteen LP’s . One of them includes an LP that was itself a compilation. CD 5 includes tracks from 9 LP’s of which I have 3. The Green Cross CB has no notes but I can give the notes from the Shaskeen and Eamonn Ceannt LP’s when time permits.
CD 7 is the same with 11 LP’s involved. Over a period of time I could post the notes to 3 or 4 of them. The Sean Ryan ones are copious.CD 8 tracks 7 - 22 are an LP called " Four Champions" compiled from four LP’s each by one of the champions. Again I’ll do what I can.

Don’t burn the midnight oil, but any added content that furthers appreciation is welcome…

Can you download these?

Probably for more bother than just buying the full box ~ you stirrer you… What is it in life that makes it necessary for you to look for buttons to push? You weren’t battered as a child were you? ~ or in your current state of questionable maturity? That particular button on this box is particularly battered and fortunately not functioning today… ;-)

~ in my state of questionable maturity…

Midnight oil duly burnt! Please see comments…

CD #2 ~ "Finbarr Dwyer: Pure Traditional Irish Accordion Music"

Posted by .

- burned!

Posted by .

Brilliant, thanks JNW, appreciated…

I can hardly believe I just bought such an amazing line up of CD’s for a tenner! That has got to be bargain of the year! incredible. Thanks a million C for pointing that one out. I cant wait……:-) :-) :-)

Still available on amazon.uk as at Sunday evening.

CD #6 ~ RINCE: Complete Irish Dancing Set - First Steps and Beyond
https://thesession.org/recordings/display.php/2887

Just so you know I put my time in… These tracks were on the whole not listed… There are other names for some of them, but you’ll find that out if you follow the links. I still haven’t managed to dig out the old name for the barndance(s) known as "Pearl’s"… Someday… 8-)

just arrived….from the states. bought evening of the 10th… arrived morning of the 14th. amazing.. each CD is worth the price of the box…. thanks again

Arrived in and from UK - but packaged for export. Thanks for all the links to the recordings ‘c’ and to the various folks for the sleeve notes info. Adds even more value to the bargain.

Actually, it was from Uk. my mistake…. but still fast…

For Taglione. This other aged fiddler would like to hear from others who knew May Nesbitt. Glad discs are reissued. Look forward to hearing The Ladies.