Vocal bagpipes?

Re: Vocal bagpipes?

Well I can’t the video to play, but it’s probably what people who play the Highland pipes call "canntaireachd".
In the 18th century (and possibly earlier) canntaireachd was how pipe music was taught. In fact there are a number of late-18th century or early-19th-century manuscripts which have a number of tunes written out in canntaireachd, tunes which are otherwise lost.
The only titles we have for a number of ancient piobaireachd (the traditional Highland pipe music) are in fact not titles at all but simply the opening phrase written out in canntaireachd:
"Hiharin dro o dro"
or:
"Hi hio tro tro"
etc.
Canntaireachd was once a fairly consistent system not unlike solfege where each note of the chanter had its own vocable (em, en, o, e, i, etc) and the distinctive piobaireachd ornaments each had their own name (edre, crunluath, etc).
Though it’s been losing ground to standard sheet music during the 20th and into the early 21st century, pipers still will "sing" pipe music in canntaireachd-like singing.
Canntaireachd proper is a bit different than "poirt-a-buel" ("mouth music") which is the Gaelic singer’s lilting of pipe tunes using nonsense vocables or even silly lyrics.
In the pipe band I play in, our Pipe Major will always "sing" the tunes to us using these semi-canntaireachd vocables.

Great history lesson, but I don’t think that’s what they are doing…
: )

I think I saw that gag on Monty Python about 30 years ago…

still funny tho -

well, the video has nothing to do with canntaireachd, which I heard Rob Wallace do at the College of Piping in Glasgow (vera impressive…)… we used to do this when we were kids… so, old joke ! but it can be dangerous : I met a chap who damaged very badly his vocal cords doing exactly what the cops are doing… he was fairly drunk and did to strongly… he now speaks with a very low voice…and can’t sing

JNE, the Monty Python sketch was about a man with a tape recorder up his nose.

Not quite the same as lilting, were it?

A good laugh, though. Particularly the "depressurization" at the end of the tune.

"Landlord - smiles, for everyone!"

Posted by .