the “boxeen”

the “boxeen”

has anyone ever tried out the boxeen?
i have a mengascini myself and love it but want to try out another box and am thinking either of a boxeen or a grey jubilee paolo soprani.any info would be great.thanks

Re: the “boxeen”

Hello. I play a Boxeen III voice, which I got off ebay from another member of this board. I don’t have the experience to compare it with other accordions, but I can say it’s a bit on the heavy side. A travelling pro-player who looked at it during a lesson told me it was a pretty good box. He picked it up and made it sing like his Paolo, but when I play it it just sounds like…. well.

I wish it was lighter and had stops to remove the chord thirds.

Posted by .

From what I’ve heard, the Boxeen is a bit on the heavy and bulky side, as Silver Bow says. It appears from pictures that it is made in the same style as modern piano and cont. cromatics, which is a bit of a problem with the smaller size of the button box.
The grey jubilee is supposed to be awesome - never tried one, though.

I have a Boxeen III B/C and am very happy with it. I also play a Cairdin C#D (mini) and would say in comparison the Boxeen requires a bit more effort working the bellows - but this is less an issue on a B/C as with a C#D accordion where the push and draw style is normally used.

To me the Boxeen is well worth the medium price range. BTW there’s a used B/C at www.buttonbox.com

thats interesting larshansen. I’d be interested to know what about it is constructed like a piano or chromatic.

Posted by .

It’s a bit heavier, and as far as I’ve been told, the mechanism and grille is like that way CBA’s were made in the 70’s, 80’s and by some present makers. This is a bit bulkier and heavier than the "typical" melodeon/diatonic tradition.

But the sound is the most important. The recordings I’ve heard of the jubilee would make me chose that one over the boxeen, but then again, I am a sucker for the old paolo feel, look and sound :-)

thanks so much for ye"re advice.i am thinking now i will go for one of the grey paolo soprani.if you know where they are being sold new or secondhand please let me know and i would be very greatfull.thanks

Jim Coogan passed away some time ago (R.I.P.), so I don’t know who sells them in the US. Perhaps Al’s music shop (Al has a profile on here, if I’m not wrong). In europe, you can find lots of dealer by googling "paolo soprani jubilee", but allaboutaccordions are the "original mastermind" behind them, so may be the best source in northern europe in terms of advice and service.

thats alot for your help.checked out the buttonbox.com and they do have them.they also have the "golden jubilee" which is the same as the grey box but made of cherry wood and is a fine accordion so i think i will try that one out.i have never seen this accordion before until i saw it on there website.have any of you ever heard about or seen them?