Drop D packet of strings

Drop D packet of strings

i heard you can get a drop d packet of strings, is this true.

Posted by .

Re: Drop D packet of strings

I just use standard light strings, and then get a larger gauge low E string from a medium set.

Not heard of it…. but hopefully it will solve the intonation problems of a lax string. One way around it a bit is to just use a low E that is one guage heavier, and press as lightly as possible on the 5th fret and up.

I had at one point suggested to someone at Martin that they might consider it…. or a DADGAD set. who knows?

I’ve been getting strings from Strings and Beyond. You can order custom sets of Elixir strings: http://www.stringsandbeyond.com/elixir.html

For DADGAD I’ve been using a light/medium mix:
56 42 32 24 17 13

I may try a heaver set-up in the near future though just to see how they feel on my D-15.

I think I’ve seen a reference to a DADGAD set. Anyway, as dr_funkenstein said, you can always order custom sets. Ordering custom sets in bulk can be cheaper than buying standard sets in a store.

… I think it was called the irisnevins custom set.

Google for Newtone Strings. There’s sets that are made to keep their tension when tuned down to lower than standard.

That said, I tried several and didn’t find much noticeable difference. I think really it’s a trial and error job. Guitars vary so much and playing styles vary so much, you just need to experiment until you find something you like.

If you let a packet of strings fall on the floor you get a DroppeD set ;)
Seriously I just use mediums and have no problem but make sure your guitar can take them before trying this - ie check with the manufacturer.

Newtone strings! I’ve been using their phosphor bronze Bluegrass set (.012 - .056) exclusively on my large body acoustic guitars for several years now and they Drop D quite nicely ;-) Great strings!

Posted by .

I play a lot in double dropped d;medium strings.

Good one Donough!

I don’t bother about it anymore, just press as lightly as you need to, even a heavier guage will distort if you press too hard.

Martin Phosphor lights … cheap, they last for me anyway, I don’t like any of the others I’ve tried as much. I know Stefan Grossman favors them too. He says they have still in use the old fashioned string winders which he thinks are better. Whatever works!