nordic folk music

nordic folk music

Does anyone know of a website similar to thesession.org that has a collection of nordic folk music?

Re: nordic folk music

I also think we’ve had a discussion to this end on site previously… You might try a search…

We’ve really got to stop meeting like this mehitabel or I’ll start singing, and we’d all regret that… 😏

maybe we’re just meant to be together

😲

jasbas, we have members who represent the wider definition of the term ‘Nordic’, as applies to Northern Europe. We have members from Denmark, Norway, Sweden, Finland, for starters. Some have commented on this subject before, or related discussions. This may bring them out of the woodwork. If you go to ‘Sessions’ and look for those in the country or countries of interest, you could drop an email to the person who contributed that and a link to this discussion ~ an idea?

We’re hoping to spend a couple of weeks in Sweden for Easter, if we can find a place and confirm that and the flights…

thanks for the links. The last one you supplied, ceolachan, was particularly helpful

Done! ~ I’ve emailed a few members from Norway, Sweden & Finland…

Thanks for the request c, but I fail to contribute…….

I only started playing Norwegian music a few years ago, and those that I trade tunes with (a slip jig for a reinlender etc.) are very keen on me learning by ear. I find that I don’t read music well enough to catch especially the rythm, but also ornamentation. I found that well and truly out when my uncle gave me a 4 vol. mastodont called "Slåtter for vanlig fele ( Tunes for regular (as opposed to hardanger-)fiddle".
This collection wil be digitalized, according to the University of Oslo.
Link:http://www.hf.uio.no/imv/om-instituttet/nfs/eng/fiddle-volumes.html

I found playing from these transcriptions very hard, but I suspect that’s me, not the music.

I was given a tip though, when I started: which was look at music from the southwest of Norway (Agder, Rogaland). My mates thought that would be closer to Celtic music, and so the transition wouldn’t be overwhelming.

S

That was pretty damned good snoore. I wish others who have actually ‘failed to contribute’ something truly relevant, including some silly asides by me, were as useful… (laughter is useful!) Thanks…

& ‘ringing strings’…

I’m danish, and I play traditional danish music. If you like this style, there are two books out, both under the title "358 danske folkdansemelodier" with collections of folklore-tunes from 1900-1905, collected by historians who travelled on horseback and wrote down the local tunes.

most of them are available as both written sheet music and midi at: http://spillefolk.dk/nodesamling/findnode.php

A short translation for the page:
Fri søgning = search field, if you know the title or part of it.
Melodityper = select type of tune (dance)
Søg = search/show results.

I’ll help you out if you need any further information on danish traditional music. Just pop me a message.

//Lars

I don’t know about any larger site, but I do know a few smaller… Spillefolk.dk is great, there is quite a bit of swedish tunes there as well. If you want to know more about swedish music in particular, drop me a line and I might be able to help!

Posted by .

So, I remembered another site I used to dip into
Traditional tunes from Gotland : http://www.gotlandstoner.se/web/

Sorted after type of dance or key. A wee bit of clicking, and you’ll find the sheetmusic.

Some really nice Gotland tunes……

S

check out Swedish group Vasan. Excellent!!!

They are spelled Väsen actually - the umlaut might help to find them.

Posted by .

http://www.spillefolk.dk/

Nice bunch of folks here… Thanks for all the useful help… jasbas should be chuffed…

Now if only the we, the two of us, can mangage to get over there this coming Easter, and find a reasonably priced place with a bath and a double bed…fingers crossed and still looking… 😏

thanks to everyone for directions to those sites! Not being able to understand any of those languages has made my previous visits to websites rather laborius. I would have to investigate every link available on a particular webpage hoping that it would lead my to some music. I couldn’t agree more, iwerzon, Vasen is an inspiring group. The group i play with have made feeble attempts at Tallroth’s 30 Ars jiggen and that gorgeous waltz Josefin’s. Great stuff. Thanks to ceolachan rolling the ball on this one!

Hey guys! Im a swedish fiddleplayer and I really would recommend http://www.folkwiki.se/

Its all in swedish but there´s a lot of great tunes there! Maybe you can use google translate or something?