Peter Abnett Bouzouki’s

Peter Abnett Bouzouki’s

Hello - I am interested in purchasing a good quality bouzouki and I was wondering if anyone has played or owned an Abnett bouzouki. I am leaning towards getting one. Any comments on tone, quality, etc. would be appreciated. I am looking for something loud with alot of low end.

Thanks - Gil

Re: Peter Abnett Bouzouki’s

Brian McDonagh of Dervish play’s a Peter Abnett Mandola. If you can get your hands on one, I don’t think you could do better. I would think they are pretty difficult to come by.

THanks. I have decided I am going to get an Abnett. ;) the ole Trinity College just aint cuttin’ it for me!

I have owned and cherished a Peter Abnett "dished back" bouzouki for 5 years. This instrument is second to none. Peter is great to work with, and the workmanship is impeccable.
P.S. I sold my Sobell O.M. to buy this instrument, as the tone was not what I was looking for at all…and that is saying a lot!!

Dale Whitty

Thanks Dale - That is good to hear. Ya know the Abnett’s are cheaper than most other high end bouzouki’s too…and something about the originality, him being the (one of the) first irish bouzouki builders is appealing. I tried dealing with Sobell but got NO replies back! Abnett sent me a brouchure and a HAND WRITTEN letter! CAnt beat that kind of service. How did you like the Sobell in comparison? I hear Sobell’s are great instruments.

Gil

Hi, I have played a good few Abnetts in the past, including Brians Abnett mandola…They a nice instruments..a clear ring out of them, and very nicely finished off…

Have you thought of Joe Foley? They are alot alike….

Oh, and Sobells are alot different then Abnetts…. so if its a "Sobell sound" that you are after dont go for an Abnett. . : )

Joe Foley is making one for me now, and I chose his because it has exactly the sound I want. Way cheaper than a Sobell too - and do Sobells sound that much better? Perhaps.

My current bouzouki is a Hullah, and that’s got a nice deep tone, but after seeing Eamon Doorley playing a Foley my mind was made up.

Anyone know where you can hear an Abnett? Recordings?

Posted by .

Donal Lunny plays an Abnett doesn’t he? Saw him playing it a few months ago with Mozaik and it sounded fantastic. If I had the money I’d buy one - you can hear it on the last Mozaik album, Changing Trains. I’m not sure how long he’s had it … but it’s probably on a few other albums he’s been on lately.

Posted by .

Yep Foleys are very good…

Sobells are alot different than any other maker. Hard to explain unless you try one out. I havent put mine down since I got it, and even though I am happy with the foley I have, the Sobell is the sound I want to hear most of the time.

Most of the stuff Donal has done over the years has been on his Abnett…even as far back as planxty/bothyband, and really helped give Abnett the name he has today.

I would find it hard to pick from a new Abnett or a new Foley…Both are very well made, strong, and really a life-time instrument.
All the best!

This is all good advice. I hear the Foley’s and Sobells are very nice instruments as well. Bouzouki’s are kinda rare (in the states where Im at at least) So I dont have an opportunity to play different types. Any opinions on sound differences?

Glad to see so many happry owners of Peter abnett’s instruments.My bouzouki was made for me in 1979,and is the best I’ve ever played…..i’ll probably be buried with it ! ( No,I’ll leave it to my Son!) Loads of players are amazed by the sound and projection,and I’ve passed on Peters contact details many times over the last 30 years or so. I also have a mandolin (1982) and an OM style guitar (1983) All are wonderfully vibrant instruments.Check out www.myspace.com/johnburge, if you want a sample of my music.If you’re thinking about buying an Abnett instrument, don’t hesitate,you will have a friend for life
in one of Peter’s masterpieces.
all the best John Burge

It’s a year almost since this post was started, and I’m just now finding it. Yikes! I better log in more. Goodin, I had the exact same experience as you it sounds like. I’m in a very isolated small town with nothing in the way of accesable sampling. So I went from a TC zouk to an Abnett (5 course cittern), and I LOVE it. I went strictly off of other people’s advice, and I was also attracted to the notion that he helped design and build Donal Lunny’s first "Irish" bouzouki. That said, I also live in a dry climate and the fret board shrunk up considerably within the first 6 months of it egtting here (even with a case humidifyer), and there is NO adjustable truss rod on this instrument, which was very disapointing. I had to get it set up with a nearby luthier though, and now it plays better than ever.

Did you ever get an Abnett? Or did you go with something else, and in either case, how do you like your instrument?

Posted by .