Strings for octave mandolin

Strings for octave mandolin

Hello -

I recently bought a Trinity College octave mandolin and I am still experimenting with string types and gauges. I want a good quality light-medium gauge string and I was wondering if anyone could recommend what to buy. Are the gauges the same for bouzouki and octave mandolin? I don’t want to risk messing with the neck/tension of my instrument. Right now I have standard D’Addario strings with gauges .042, .032, .020, .014. I guess this would be about medium-heavy? Please advise.

Thanks,
Taylor210

Re: Strings for octave mandolin

I also own a Trinity Octave Mando, and have found that it responds much better with a medium guage set than light. I presently have it strung with GHS phosphor bronze Octave Mando Set 12-44. As far as in the states, what we call a bouzouki has a longer scale than what we call an octave mando, I believe the shorter scale wants a lighter string..

Posted by .

For the same tuning, shorter scales need heavier gage strings.

Your OM should have a 23" scale or so and the set you picked will do well with it. There is another way of tuning the OM which involves using octave pairs (one string an octave above the other), but you are OK the way you are.

Mike Keyes
http://www.mikekeyes.com

GHS Octave Mando Strings and for bouzouki D’Addario Irish Bouzouki Strings.

Posted by .

The TC OM has a 20.5" scale, while their bouzuki is longer. I tried many, many strings on my TCOM before settling on 15,24,34,47 and I buy individual strings in five-packs from First Quality Musician’s Supply. If anyone knows of a wound 16 gauge that can be tuned up to "e" at the 20.5" length, please let me know; I think it would sound better than the plain steel 15 that I settled with.