Joe Ryan RIP

Joe Ryan RIP

I just heard the sad news that the great Clare fiddler Joe Ryan has passed away.

He was All-Ireland Fiddle Champion in 1969, a man who loved the music so much he was sometimes seen playing in his car because his wife didn’t want him playing in the house!

So here’s to one of the great fiddlers of our times, Joe Ryan.

Posted .

Re: Joe Ryan RIP

time to play the Joe Ryan and Gerdie Commane’s CD… I was still hoping to meet him at some stage… RIP

We heard he was seriously ill in hospital in Drogheda on saturday.

One memorable meeting I had was in 1989, I was staying at Geoff Wooff’s, he was living in Doonagore at that time, in the house that once was Patrick Flannagan’s, the man who taught the Russells most of their music.

During the afternoon I walked down to Fisherstreet, took the pipes. Micho was there, he hauled me into O’Connor’s and told me to put on the pipes. Barely into the second tune Joe Ryan walked in with the fiddle and joined. Micho was soon distracted by two German girls but Joe and myself played for hours until th landlady stood us a big free meal. It was a good day.

Some five years ago I was driving my then 8 or 9 year old son to his karateclass in Ennistymon, I had the windows rolled down and we were playing the Two Gentlemen of Clare music on the CD player. On the backroad near Moonagh lake we met an old Renault 4, we pulled over to let eachother pass, he had the window open as well. It was Joe Ryan, as he passed, he heard the tunes in the car, ‘Lovely Music’ I said as he drove past, he smiled and was gone again. That was a nice day too.

Posted .

I admired him and Bobby Casey in Friel’s kitchen in Miltown Malbay many times. Sad.

:( :(:(…..this fiddler is one of favorites, as much or more so than some of the more-cited kings of clare fiddling….i am so lucky to have gotten to listen to him in session numerous nights during my clancy week visits. i actually just learned his version of "martin wynne’s" reel from his solo cd…it is my favorite of the recorded versions i have of that reel….

This is sad news. I had heard he was not well, but was hoping he would pull through.

I played in his & Kathleen Smyth’s session near Drogheda a couple of times, in fact Mrs Ptarmigan & I shared a few tunes with them just last year & it was a lovely relaxed session.

He always came across as one of the real Gentlemen of Irish Music, one of the Old School …… was he the last?

Lovely lovely music, one of my favourites, … a touching thought that a man like that can cast pleasure far abroad to people like me he’ll never know about, enriching life … gratitude and respect.

Very sad news about another gentleman of music. I had the pleasure of playing with him on a few occasions in Ennis along with Gerdie Commane and Sonny Murray. He’s left a great legacy including his major contribution with the famed Castle Céilí Band. The gem I’ll always remember personally though is Auchodan House on his Buchall Dreoite recording which many of us now play as "Joe Ryan’s" barndance.

I never met the man but did acquire a copy of his CD - An Buachaill Dreoite down in Miltown a couple of summers ago and it’s one of our favourite recordings. I know it’s passe to repeat that you can learn a lot from older musicians but it’s just so true.

Really sorry to hear this news, I was playing a couple of his tunes last night at the local session, for some reason he just popped into my head. I had the honour of playing with Joe one a couple of occasions in Droghreda and Carraroe and An Buachaill Dreoite remains my bechmark recording.

ClareFM just announced the funeral arrangements.

Queally’s funeral home Miltown Malbay on thursday eight O clock, removal to Inagh after, funeral there after mass on friday.

Posted .

I was delighted to find this little video clip of a session we enjoyed with Joe Ryan, Kathleen Smyth & Caroline O’Rourke last summer at ‘The Becks’ outside Ashbourne.

Many thanks to John King for posting this.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=H6UPOtL5i4A

Cheers
Dick