traditional songs on the web?

traditional songs on the web?

i was wondering if anyone could shed some light as to whether there are any websites with traditional songs in english, something similar to this website only for song? it’d be a great help! many thanks

Re: traditional songs on the web?

Try mudcat.org — I don’t know of any like this site or mudcat specifically for Irish songs. Could be out there, though…

Zina

cheers zina! looked up that website and there’s a right wee bit of info there. i know this is a site for tunes, but if anyone knows the history behind the ‘flower of magherally’ it’d be greatly appriciated!

No troubles, Mary — hopefully Alice will answer your question, she’s probably our most vocal singer roundabout these parts. Also, hope you asked your question at mudcat, there’s lots there who probably know. 🙂

Zina

You might could check with Comhaltas. Their quarterly publication Treoir has a regular article about the history of a particular song. I don’t recall seeing anything on "Flower of Magherally," but there may be some prior issues they could direct you to, or another source. Irish Music magazine also has a similar feature each month.

Another possible source could be the liner notes for Niamh Parson’s CD or Altan’s CDs (where I have heard the song). They ususally have some interesting bits of history about their songs and tunes. I can’t think of the names of the CDs right off hand, but I’ll check tonight at home.

Hope this helps.

Jim

Posted by .

you’ve all been a great help! if i don’t get the grade in me music a level yous wont be to blame anyways! cheers. p.s. that chivalry.com is really good esp.

You can do that in music A-Level? Wow! and I thought it was an analysis of Beethoven’s fifth symphony.

its for my practical. i have to ‘engage in meaningful discussion’ about my pieces with the examiner. don’t want to let the side down and not know the history behind my pieces like the other more classical musicians. theres analysis of symphonies alright! we dont get away that easy!

We are a group that performs 18th century traditional music. Don’t know if you wish to go back that far but if so, we have links on our web site. www.itinerantband.com There may also be some more contemporary songs on those sites. Dave

Sorry I wasn’t on the forum earlier to answer this question… Mudcat has the history of Flower of Maherally, by the way.

Mudcat.org is an excellent source for all kind of folk and trad lyrics, as well as informed discussion of the history and origins of songs, tunes, and all things folk music related. It has a much wider range of discussion than our specialized session.org. The database and forum are searchable, and it costs nothing to join Mudcat and be able to trace threads and get personal messages.

I also have a page on my web site with lots of links to lyrics:

http://my.montana.net/aliceflynn/music.html

Check out the link to George Seto’s page from the above URL.

If there are any specific songs you are interested in, let me know.

Alice