OT - a little st. paddy’s day story

OT - a little st. paddy’s day story

As Ronan O’Laughlin lay on his death bed, his life passed before his eyes. He thought of his childhood, his own children, his life’s victories and defeats, and, of course, his romances. He wondered if his wife every really, truly loved him. Sure, they’d been married 47 years and he had many good memories. But, all they had done was fight and fuss for as long as he could remember. He thought if he felt he was truly loved by her, he could go to his creator a happy man. At that very moment, he caught a whiff of the scones baking in the kitchen. Ah, not just any scones. The scones his wife had baked for him on their first date. The scones she had baked on their wedding day nearly half a century ago. The scones she was baking for his very last meal. As his last few breaths were filled with the heavenly scent, he knew then and there that she really did love him. At this point, he mustered all of the energy he had in his all but lifeless body to tear himself away from the angels’ arms, in order to have just one last taste of the delectable treat, so lovingly prepared by his dearest wife. He somehow staggered down the stairs into the kitchen and managed to pull himself onto a stool. There on the table were the scones, steaming hot and dripping in sweet butter. And there was his beloved wife, looking more beautiful than ever in her tattered apron, stirring a bowl of the precious pastry as the sun shone through the dusty window on her silver hair pulled back in a bun, the way he always liked it. He managed a pitiful smile and reached with his trembling, crippled hand for his final earthly treasure. His wife turned and, as their eyes met, she approached him and reached out toward the feeble old man. Still clutching her mixing bowl and wooden spoon, she reached across the table and whacked him on the hand. “Get your fecking hands off them!” she snorted, “those are for the wake!”

Re: OT - a little st. paddy’s day story

I heard this same joke, only it was a Dubliner and the food was coddle!

Paddy O’Keefe’s missus never did that to him. He was married to his fiddle. ;-)

Pat Egan told it all sad and teary eyed and serious til the end. He really sold it. killed me.

HA! Must have been grand, I wish I could remember the whole thing so I could tell it!

That really does explain to me where Samuel Beckett’s coming from.

I heard the joke for the first time in the 1960’s and it was a Yiddish joke about bagels.