Irish

Irish

Anyone out there who knows what “riachtanach” means I forgot my dictonary. thank you.I am far from being gifted with bua an teanga.Wish we didnt have to do Irish in school its so much harder than french

Re: Irish

thanks gary

Saw the topic and thought “Irish - that’s a surprising line of discussion on this site”. Allissa, the difference is surely that one is your own language! But I really wanted to say “Go for it” as a Scot who was brought up in a Gaelic-speaking area but was discouraged from learning the language formally, like many at the time (50s/60s). I was encouraged to learn Latin instead - interesting and useful in its way but spot the living language. I think things are better now in Scottish schools but I’ve got a lot of ground to make up in my spare time. Oidhche mhath agus bonne nuit. 🙂

Riachtanach means “vital or necessary”

Does anyone out there in the gealteacht areas want to put me up for six months free board so I can become fluent in Irish???? …..no…. worth a try anyway.

Caithfidh tú an litriú ceart ar ‘gaeltacht’ a bheith agat ar dtús🙂

HA HA.. oops!! gabh mo leithscéal. 😏

100 times…

gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht
gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht gaeltacht………………………….😉

Buachaill maith.

pog mo thón

“Does anyone out there in the gealteacht areas want to put me up for six months free board so I can become fluent in Irish????” - you’ll be lucky Session Savage unless of course you happen to be a “stand up comedian”! Anyway, Bí an tádh agat.

Yeah Bannerman, I haven’t a snowballs chance in hell, but I am a chancer 🙂

WHEN I win the lotto I’m gonna rent out a place in the GAELTACHT and stay there until I am fluent.

I tell you now it’ll take a lot longer than six months in a Gaeltacht to become fluent in the language, I’m here over a year now and my Irish is improving very gradually, mind you I’m not going to classes, just taking in the everyday conversations which is probably the best way to do it.

“If anything is worth doing, it’s worth doing it slowly”

Robert Del Naja

Posted .

Well, my plan is to win the lotto and not work or anything, just hang around the local shops gossiping with all the ould wans.

until then I guess I’ll keep dreaming. :(

seen Deismund Mac An Easpag in Vicor St last night. Whole routine as Gaeilige - brilliant

Did anyone see Des Bishop in the gaeltacht the lads out of my class said it was realy good unfortunatly I missed it

Alissa if you search on you tube you’ll get the as gaeilge version of jump around “Leim Thart”. Its very funny.

I went to school with a Liam Harte.