Did You Wash Your Father’s Shirt,
Spailpin Fanach,
Tom’s,
The West Cork.
Key signature: Dmixolydian
Submitted on July 14th 2003 by nobu.
https://thesession.org/tunes/1820

I’m not sure

I heard that polka on an Aran collection CD, “Traditionally Irish”, where it was played together with The Britches Full of Stitches. It could be a highly ornamented version of the above. There is a resemblence in the B part, but the A part is quite different.

Re: Polka identification

What’s the A-part? Give us some ABCs, at least an approximation and I’ll see if my misfiring memory comes up with anything more…

Sorry: I just didn’t get it. Probably because it doesn’t sit easily on my high D whistle, the only instrument I can (sort of) play.

Yes, I know it. Give me some time. It may not be on site here yet and I wouldn’t want to add it until I have a decent hand on it. I haven’t played it in quite some time. I’ll let you know…

There’s words to it too, but I’m not so sure I’ll manage that as well… 😉

I managed to find a partial of the recording you mentioned, but the B-part you’ve given above doesn’t belong with that second polka in the set, if that’s the one you mean. Just so not to confuse you, here’s one take of the A-part, and I’ll avoid the B-part I know to see first if this is the tune you mean. I haven’t gone searching for it everywhere, just some initial searching online including in the key of A ~ what the hell, I’ll give the B-part I know for it too…

K: G Major
|: B/c/ |\
de/d/ ^cd | ed B2 | DD/D/ GB | ed c2 |
cd/c/ Bc | fe d>e | f/e/d/c/ B/c/A/F/ | GB G :|
|: B/d/ |\
gg/g/ ge | ff/f/ fd | e^d/e/ fe | d3 ^c/d/ |
ed BG | A3 B/d/ |[1 ed B/c/A | G3 :|[2 ed d/e/f | g3 |]

That’s from memory and I’m not completely happy with it, but it will give you something to respond to, or someone else will likely recognize this…hopefully…or eventually it will rise to the surface in the nonestop juggling of memories that goes on in my head….

It’s a cute one, ceolachan, but definitely not the one I was looking for. Thanks for the help… maybe it will still surface…

Are there more than two polkas in that set? You do mean this don’t you?:

“Traditionally Irish”
9.) Polka Selection - Dublin City Ramblers

That begins with “The Britches Full of Stitches”, but the following A-part is the one I’ve just given, if their version is just slightly different… 😏

Yo! That’s the disk. But the track is no.5, a waltz followed by two polkas.

Oh! ~ damn… 😉 I remembered that polka now ~

“Caddam Woods”
Key signature: G Major
Submitted on February 13th 2003 by geoffwright.
https://thesession.org/tunes/1438

My second part is different… Now, about that other set of polkas… 😏

Caddam woods

What kind of a devilish tune is this? Now that I’ve begun to play it, I cannot stop, and I’m also playing it faster and faster… save me!

Hold on, the floor is breaking up and disappearing beneath us…. 😉