Copying the tune book

Copying the tune book

Previously, I have been able to copy and paste the contents of my tunebook into a Word Document so that I could edit it (eg add alternative names) and avoid the ‘widows and orphans’ problem that happens if I just print it straight from the tunebook page.

However, I just tried to do it again, and this time it won’t copy across. The titles copy, but the sheet music is reduced to an image box with the title of the tune written in it. It’s not a case of exceeding the capacity of the copy-and-paste tool, as the same happens if I try to copy a single tune.

Any suggestions?

Posted by .

Re: Copying the tune book

I think you’d probably get better results by downloading your tunebook in ABC format and then using some ABC software to print out the tunes.

ABC2mus gives good results, in my experience.
Trevor

oops! I should have said ABC2Win. Sorry!
Trevor

I’ll try that, then. I never paid much attention to ABC software before, as I mistakenly thought it just dealt with ABC notation, which I can’t read - didn’t realise it could do notes as well.
ABCWin sounds suspiciously like something I can’t use on my Mac… can any Mac users recommend something?

A weird thing - I opened the Word.doc version of my tunebook that I had saved and printed last time - and it has degenerated! All the tune images have vanished and now it’s just a list of titles. How did *that* happen? Jeremy, are you sending out evil Bots? 😉

Posted by .

If you don’t mind paying $18 then I recommend Melody Assistant from www.myriadonline.com. I use it on my Mac (they have a Windoze version too). You can try before you buy. Not only is it a full featured sheet music editor but it can import and translate many other forms of notation including ABC. And it can play it back to you. I’m a beginner ITM guitar player and also use it to practice.

Simon

Thanks for the tip, Simon. Sadly, I can’t buy much software online cos I don’t have a credit card - can’t get the Amazing Slow Downer for that same reason. I’ll have to find something that is free or based in the UK, where I can use my UK bank card.

Posted by .

Helen:

They are based in France and will also take a cheque, cash or postal order. You won’t be disappointed. Check out the program first before you decide.

Barfly is an abc program for Mac, you can download it at http://www.barfly.dial.pipex.com
I have a shareware version, but for a long time I had a free version, not sure if this is still available though.
John

Barfly

Forgot to mention I think he’s based in Scotland, so your bank card should work.
John

Helen, some years ago before I was connected to the internet my friendly local computer dealer in the high street was quite willing to download the occasional program for me and copy it onto a floppy disk, for a nominal fee. May be worth trying if you’re really stuck. Alternatively, and even better, there must surely be people in your sessions who could do this for you and burn the software onto a cd. All you have to do then is to pay them what the cost of the software is.
Trevor

Thanks for all the advice, chaps. I’ll give that Barfly thingy a try over the weekend.
x H

Posted by .