Technical help - does anyone know Cubase?

Technical help - does anyone know Cubase?

I asked this in someone else’s discussion - forgive the reprint.
Does anyone know why a CUBASE programme would stop working (making sound) when the speakers still play other programmes? The tracks are on the screen, the cursor scrolls accross, but there is no sound. I thought the soundcard had broken somehow, but it’s the same on both PCs (running windows 95, for Bob’s sake) so either, someone nicked both soundcards, or, there is some problem or corruption common to both. THe PCs are networked - would they have been able to both use one soundcard in one of the PCs (which is now toasted?) which makes marginally more sense. I inherited the equipment with the job, and a lot of angry teenagers who think I’m stupid.
thanks.

Re: Technical help - does anyone know Cubase?

This might sound a bit ridiculous, but have you assigned output channels in the CUBASE I/O settings, and have you assigned the outputs for each track? I don’t really know CUBASE very well, but I once didn’t assign outputs when I was working with ProTools and spent a very embarrassed half hour trying to work out why there was no sound…. 🙁

Related CuBase question—I got CuBase LE with my new mixer (Alesis Multimix 8 USB) but have not tried it yet. Does anybody here use that software? I might want to use the computer for live multi-track recording, if it’s not too complicated. ("Too complicated" means if it takes more than 10-15 minutes to learn how to set it up, I would rather just skip it and play tunes instead. Life is too short.)

I have looked for info on the web, but it’s mostly about recording MIDI, and SMPTE codes, and virtual instruments… gack. I just want to use it like those old 8-track reel-to-reel tape recorders.

Cubase LE works just fine for multitracking but I would recommend a firewire interface rather than usb. The native plugins are a little cheap sounding (reverbs, compressors etc) but there’s a whole ton of great free plugins on various sites on the net. All you have to do is assign your inputs for each extra track you want to record.

‘but have you assigned output channels in the CUBASE I/O settings, and have you assigned the outputs for each track?’

I have no clue what this means, so, thanks Andy V, it’s probably on the right lines. None of these things are labled, though… Yes! Life is far too short to muck about with pointless technology. I need to make this work though.

If I was doing this with ProTools, I’d have to do something along the lines of this. Firstly, go into the Tools menu, and select either Options or I/O options or Input/Output options (depending on what it is, I can’t remember quite what it looks like). Basically, go through it until you find a box labelled something along the lines of Input channels. On the system I use, there’ll be something along the lines of "Digi 002" and/or "OctoPre" in that box, if there’s nothing in that box (or there’s the name of something that you don’t have) then that’s probably your problem, and you’ll need to grab the manual to find out how to fix it. There should also be a similar box for Output, and fixing that is much the same.

That’s probably the worst case scenario though. The next thing to check is, when you create a new Audio Track, that you assign an Input source/channel and an Output source/channel. Taking a bit of a guess here, cos I don’t really know CuBase, if you go into your Tracks screen (i.e. where there’s a waveform-y thing coming out of the right of a box with, probably the track’s name, a click-button labelled "Mute", a button labelled "Solo", and maybe a level meter in it) and try to find some sort of options for that track. Then, try to find an Input source and the Output source. Your Input should be something along the lines of "Digi002 1", meaning it’s channel 1 from a Digi002 (an input device that converts analogue signal from microphones into digital signals for the computer), depending on the kit your using (finding out the names of your gear would probably be a good move, look for the labels on it); your output might say "Master Output" or "Primary Sound-card" or something.

I hope that’s of some help, but if you want clarification or further suggestions, feel free E-Mail me through the site or just carry on here.

Obviously, it won’t say "Digi002" on your system (well, it might, if that’s what you’ve got), I was using that as an example of what it would say on the rack I use.

Sorry to bring this about again, but I just got the Multimix 8, and I installed Cubase LE 4. I know may way aroung cubase from using the old LE, but when I try to record with the Multimix, after a short time (5 - 40 seconds), Cubase freezes and about 5 secs after, unfreezes with the recording stopped, but track still playing. Any ideas on how to fix this?

Nevermind… Fix involved disabling any network card that was in use.