Fights after sessions II

Fights after sessions II

Ok this is getting silly now. Is it just me who gets into brawls after sessions? This guy was totally trying to knee me in the balls and smack me in the face tonight, just after a session. Is it just me? Dad, I know you’re reading this, I’m not as bad as you think I am!!! ๐Ÿ™‚

Re: Fights after sessions II

He hit Bridie in the face and made her CRY, and the police came and asked us if we wanted to take it to court. Is this normal for people? ๐Ÿ™‚ Please, are we just really messed up here in Australia?

Are you for real? Might be time to change venues…

Bridie when you wake up, can you bloody text me please? I’m so sorry for taking a cab home. That guy trying to hit me in the face was way less scary than your husband going like: where the feck have you been till 10.30am? LOL

Poor Bridie, and you…the jerk!!!

There are crazies in the world. As far as it being confined to or more prevalent in Australia, hardly. We’ve had some incidents here in Northwest England that were considerably worse, though not to do with Irish music. Not that long ago some poor sod went over to ask his neighbour to try to quiet down his barking dog. The guy got shot in the face for it… Why? For some things there just isn’t any way to make sense of it. You were just in the wrong place at the wrong time. It if hadn’t been you it would have been someone else…

Seriously, again? Dude, rough part of town there or what? Poor both of you is right, that’s some serious stuff. Talk about shooting the piano player. Who the heck screws with the musicians? Nonsense.

There used to be a session at a pub in East Sydney!!
Gun battles were known to have taken place on the street outside. One tat-covered guy came up to us and demanded to hear some music that wasn’t Irish. He looked at my Rudal and Rose flute like he wanted to grab it and break it over his knee. (And I don’t think it was all about how I played, either)
Needless to say, I never went back to that session venue. I value my life more highly than to do that.

You need to explain a bit more. 10:30 AM with Bridey? And her married? Why the nerve of her husband, demanding to know where she was til the next morning with you. Sounds like your battles were about more than the sessions.

Dow, it’s definitely time for a new venue. Just don’t go back to that place. There has got to be somewhere safer and saner to play music. People like that don’t deserve good tunes.

If it is a bad part of town, I’d have to agree with the rest who’ve aired the sentiment to move. There must be a better place to play music. The sad thing is that there are probably folks there who do appreciate and deserve to hear your music ~ but maybe in a pub with a better clientel in a better part of town?

Check your hotmail account Dow, a gift for solace, hopefully, and for Bridie, a couple of characters and fine fiddlers doing a duet. They are not with us but their music remains… Apologies for the quality. And yes, they really did play the reels that slowly, every set… I hope you can hear past the imprefections and you both find some peace there. The files are big, so clear it so I can follow it up with more…

Are you jokin? Bridie, are you alright? What pub was it? God, were you in cronulla/cabramatta or something? We had our own incident this week in the papers. The Muddy Farmer, which has our own Madass folk club and occasional session got in the news this week on the premise that a paroled kiddy fiddler was breaching his parole by being in that area. It must be Australia revolting against the fashion sense of Therese, wife of Kev. ๐Ÿ™‚ No just jokes - but seriously Bridie pls let me know you’re ok.

Posted by .

I have it on good authority from a little birdy-twice-removed that bridie’s fine, if a little, ‘ow-do-you-say… over the hung of last night.

AND mr dow, i think your cheekily throwing nasturciums at our little session pub in newts-town. The same height-challenged ornathologian told me that you were both in OXFORD STREET and NOWHERE NEAR NEWTOWN. AVAST!!! issue a clarifying statement now, lest your damage control skills be compared to the Estrangian liberal party!!

Thank you kind SirNose for information regarding Bridie. Dow, have you been a bit ‘liberal’ (sorry for the bad pun) with the truth of the situation?

Posted by .

Drunken Musician Claims Session Violence Forces
Solitary Taxi Escape Again—-Friends Doubtful
Was Recent Winner of Anders Impersonation Contest at Tobias Wollf Festival

I don’t know Australia, but in my experience, ‘bad parts of town’ over here in the UK, and in Ireland, are exactly where you want to have a session. The people tend to be more genuine, and simply appreciative, with none of the self-conscious posing that seems often to be the case with the so-called ‘better’ class of people.

I can’t begin to comprehend the sort of behaviour you describe, Dow. My sympathies to you and your mates.

Posted by .

Hey I never said it happened at the session venue. It was just that this always seems to happen after a session. The session venue closed about 7 hours before this happened. After the session we went to the pub down the road and then that closed a coupla hours later so a bunch of us from the session got a taxi.

Oh and I’m just remembering now that the guy THREW my concertina and it bounced off the pavement. That really annoyed me. I daren’t look at it today in case it’s broken.

In its box, of course, otherwise it definitely would be broken. Actually I just checked it now, and amazingly it’s fine. No reeds got knocked out or anything. Funny how in a session I end up having to take the thing apart and fix it because something has come loose, and some guy chucks it onto concrete and it’s fine. Hmm…

I just reread my original statement and realised that it says "just after" the session, which implies that this happened at the session venue. In fact it was 6 or 7 hours later. It didn’t feel like that long tho’ ๐Ÿ™‚

What I’d really love to know is what Dow said to the guy before he went ballistic.
But seriously I guess this goes on everywhere. Two visitors that were staying with us here in Perth got injured in separate incidents at night in the city near nightclubs over the past 6 months. In both cases there was absolutely no provocation or build-up.

sometimes i feel that way about concertinas ๐Ÿ™‚

Feck. Buy some mace, obviously. I’m serious. I just would have nutted him, like. But that’s not for everyone…

Posted by .

is this "Mace" stuff good for hangovers then?
I don’t think it’s a good idea kicking on after a session while still carrying your instruments. A box player mate slipped over and fell on his box box and cracked his ribs. Hope bbs is OK

Did you take up the police suggestion of taking it to court?
or perhaps you’d already been to *The Courthouse* …..
http://www.sydneypubguide.net/pubs/Courthouse.aspx

Posted by .

Well,
This thread has just taken care of one of one of my emmigration concerns !!

Is anyone making flutes / whistles with bayonets? Or James Bond style ones you can shoot through? I imagine their manufacture would be allowable in at least some parts of the USA…

I’ve got an assault mandolin

Posted by .

โ€œIs anyone making flutes / whistles with bayonets? Or James Bond style ones you can shoot through? I imagine their manufacture would be allowable in at least some parts of the USA… โ€œ

In the bassackward reactionary state where I live, the legislature just passed a law allowing loaded concealed guns in restaurants and state parks. .38 caliber flutes? No problem.

Sounds like he was performing to the Chimpunks. The boy is fast, though.

And Bob hisself, it you don’t like it, move. The crims and perps will still have their weapons wherever they want them, anyway. I am sure that suits you much better than to have a registered, trained, and likely peaceful gun owner around, to save your ass if something happens.

Ah, now I have a better idea of the chain of events. Never mind about the session venue, that doesn’t seem to be the problem.

I can’t help but feel there’s some sort of a life lesson here—a "cautionary tale," as they say? Hmmmm?

I’m glad to hear it wasn’t the venue but somewhere else. Good point benhall about ‘character’…and grand recommendations bren… Carrying your instruments around 7 hours after a session and still hitting pubs, where I’d guess that part of the motivation might have been to get p*ssed? ๐Ÿ˜

SWFL, somehow I can’t see Dow doing that, but would love to…

Maybe a low whistle would be an idea, one of the heavy metal variety? You could always have someone throw one together for you out of a length of steel pipe? You might even be able to have one made that is articulated and would work like nanchucks? ~ or nanchucks worked into a pair of whistles?

speaking of instruments as weaponry, I had a memorable incident with our lovely security/customs people at the brisbane airport a few years back in regards to my instruments (that go on board with me; not down in the hull)

It appears they were more concerned about my possible intent to garrot someone with my fiddle strings (at that stage they were dead as anyway so probably not the best should you try to do this) than with me carrying my low f overton (which essentially is a nice big whacky thing made out of aluminium)

but yeah, taking instruments out afterwards is scary. I had a friend over from ireland and we went out afterwards and I got to see his beloved grinter go flying into the curb after he tripped (and this was elizabeth st in the city; v busy) when intoxicated. its’ fine now but a scary moment indeed.

Posted by .

But, to get back to the original question, this wasn’t that session at Kelly’s bar you’ve just posted, was it, Dow ?
And I notice you have pages of stuff on your blog about music, but nothing about where yer from, or at.

Fights Too

There was 7 hours between the one & the other.
Session … row.

Posted by .

7 hours of what? Hmmmmm?

great material for a soap opera—"The Diddley Di’s of Our Lives."

Posted by .