Clannad’s version of ‘Off to California’

Clannad’s version of ‘Off to California’

Hi there,

I don’t know how many of you are aware of this version from Clannad together with the ‘Fairies Hornpipe’, but their version of ‘Off to California’ is really very refreshing and much more interesting, at least for me, than the older version.

Check it out

Regards

Re: Clannad’s version of ‘Off to California’

Er is there no link?

No, you hav eot check out a Clannad CD or MP3 with tunes on it

‘No, you hav eot check out a Clannad CD or MP3 with tunes on it.’

I’d be very worried if there was a Clannad CD or MP3 which didn’t have tunes on it.

Have you been at the devil’s buttermilk, Shylock?

Posted by .

Just a wee drop, keeps teh joints loose!

Well, wrap up your joints more tightly! I was always a 4-Rizla-man myself.

Posted by .

Service mentioned above is U.S. only…

Posted by .

The tune labeled “Off to California” on that album is “The Stack of Wheat”:

https://thesession.org/tunes/785

lol that sorted that one out then

My wife got this CD out of the library a few days ago by co-incidence .. so, I sticks it on and I’m thinking that’s a very curious setting of ‘Off to California’ - must be a Donegal version or something. Didn’t think anymore about it, till I saw above! So, The Stack of Wheat then.

Posted .

I am a bit of movie buff, and in “A Night to Remember”, the story of the Titanic, there’s a scene early in the picture where Irish steerage passengers are enjoying and dancing to “Off to Philadelphia in the Morning”. Then just recently I came in contact w/ “Off to California” hornpipe…thinking the Philadelphia lyrics were to the same tune. It turns out that they are different tunes, but similar, and I wonder if there could possibly be lyrics to “Off the California” ?? The lyrics fit the (closely resembling) “Philadelphia” tune so wonderfully ! I hope they are out there somewhere. If not it could be worth somebody’s while to create some. Again, the inspiration comes from the enchanting musical scene in the movie. Might be worth a look and a listen.