Polkas

Polkas

With regards to ITM and specifically ITM polkas, is a ‘back beat’, or ‘up note’ typically emphasized? Or is the polka played straight 1/8th notes. How’s about a ‘humpty dumpty’ feel? Any examples?

Re: Polkas

" Any examples?"

That’s what you do — listen to examples. You’ll get your answer there.

I think that what ever the type of tune, you must look to emphasise the beats where the individual tune tells you too. I could be a back beat, once in a while. But it could equally be a run of quarter beats. Or more likely, the down beat.

But one thing that Irish diddley tunes definitely not do is sit with e repetative bum chick bum chick bum chick bum chick.

Do not emphasise a beat in a tune just because you think the genre requires it. The tunes are individuals.

Posted .

>The tunes are individuals.
Yes michael, even the group called polkas. Polkas lend themselves to quite a lot of different interpretations actually, not just the heavily accented Sliabh Luachra style (as much as I love that style.)

I was taught to do polkas with a "pulse". It doesn’t always work out, but the idea is to slur two notes and "lean" on the second. I’m still working on it, and the technique fits better on some polkas better than others. But like llig says, you have to mix things up or it all sounds the same.

Um;

mine all do sound the same.