digital listening help needed

digital listening help needed

in the good old days, like six months ago, i just put a cd in my pc, ripped it as an mp3, and put it on my little iRiver H series player, i could work on learning tunes any time.

alas, dell and the pc drove me over to the macbook apple side, and i am flummoxed. i am not at all technically competent, but the old real player software i liked is no longer "supported" according to the web. the apple does things with file extensions and locking/copy protecting that seem extreme, unless i want to get an ipod, which i don’t.

can anybody suggest a way to:

rip music off an audio cd, have the artist and title transfer with the rip, and end up with mp3 files?

my purposes are honorable, my character fairly upright, my tech skills minimal; but my gratitude would be boundless

thanks

Re: digital listening help needed

may i add—a kind friend helped me resurrect the pc, and i’d like to use it, it has windows xp—the apple i have now is a macbook air, and they are taking their bloody time getting the auxiliary cd/optical thingy out.

so i was thinking of keeping my tunes i’m learning on the pc…if i an make it work.

Open iTunes. Choose Preferences from the iTunes menu. Click the Advanced tab. Click the Importing tab below it. Select Import Using: mp3 encoder. Choose the quality setting you prefer. Check the box saying "Automatically retrieve CD track names from Internet." Close Preferences.

When you import a CD into iTunes (you can set this to happen automatically, with prompting, or manually, when you set the preferences as above), the mp3 files, with track names, will be placed in a folder with the album’s title, inside a folder with the artist’s name, inside your iTunes Music folder, inside your iTunes folder, inside your Music folder, inside your user home folder. You can then transfer these files to your iRiver, but I don’t have one so I don’t know how that is done.

GaryAMartin,

thanks for your clear explanation. i would never have navigated that without your explanation.

i will play with this and see how it works out,

kj

The IRiver will only work with windows media player, and won’t talk to itunes. best keep using your PC for music if you want to keep using your Iriver. Myself, I’ve gone over to an Ipod, as Itunes is a far better system than media player, and will run on both mac and PC.

Posted by .

thedon, what are you talking about? I’ve been using my iRiver H series for 4 years just fine without ever once firing up windows media player to talk to it. Assuming the Mac can recognize its file system, it’s just like any USB hard drive — copy the MP3 files there and they will play just fine.

Really? My mac doesn’t recognise it at all.

Posted by .

I am interested in this conversation, as I have to replaced my Sansa MP3 player, which I was quite fond of. I have a Mac as well as a PC, and am a bit of a geek. I am still not convinced to assimilate and buy an iPod (or which one). I don’t know if it is just that I am used to WMP, but I find myself annoyed with iTunes often. Is this just a matter of what I am accustomed to? I can work around most of it, the one thing I can’t is the ability to play things at different speeds in WMP. Can iTunes do that anywhere? I really expect Apple to be ahead of the curve on any media arts, and have been disappointed in a few aspects.

Tracy

i really like my iRiver 300 series, and don’t want to lay out money for an ipod, tracywag i’m with you in not wanting to assimilate too far.

i would like to use the pc for tunes, but can’t figure out how to rip a cd into mp3 and have it’s info come with it…i think it may be just my lack of tech intuition, i think it can be done. i know with garyamartin’s help i managed to get some of this done with itunes, on the apple, and might in time figure out the rest.

i can load stuff on and off the iRiver with the apple osx 5.2 system i have, it shows up as an icon on my desktop when i plug it in usb-wise, and then i can fiddle with it at will.

my difficulty comes with getting the tunes to come in with their information (album title and tracks) in either system. also although i know either computer is only responding to my input, both seem to be inconsistent and pig headed. but i do fear it may be myself…

thedon, what do you see as the advantages of itunes?

any further advice, anyone?

thedon, when i hook up the iRiver via usb to the mac, the iRiver first comes up on it’s own screen as "charging"; i have to push the start/go button to get it to switch to "connected data" and then its icon shows up.

Hey thanks full measure, I’ll give that a go when I get back from work.

Posted by .