Modernity / Album Recommendation

Modernity / Album Recommendation

Hello everyone,

I’m looking for some new music, preferrably something with a modern feel that keeps inside a traditional base.
Maybe something along the lines of "At First Light" by John McSherry and Michael McGoldrick, as I’ve been enjoying that recently.

Any recommendations?

Re: Modernity / Album Recommendation

And of course, the Bothy Band albums.

er… sorry in advance
i know this is spamming but,
ive got an album out on itunes.
The Dub Chieftain - Memos From The Dub Grotto
although its mainly electronic stuff theres a few trad-flavoured banjo tracks on there.
🙂
its only 79p a track as well.

The Kathryn Tickell Band - "Instrumental".

Main instruments - Northumbrian pipes, fiddle, melodeon, guitar, piano. Almost all new tunes, composed along traditional lines but sometimes given quite a shake-up in their rhythms and arrangements, which are not blighted by annoying gimmicks (IMO).

It’s not Irish music but reasonably akin. I’ve had it a year or so and think this album holds up well.

Look no further:
Lau
Live or Lightweights And Gentleman (Studio)

Lau. Absolutely.

Two albums I have been enjoying lately are by a young fiddler named Athena Tergis, with accompaniment by John Doyle, and some talented guests, and the newest Sharon Shannon album, Renegades, I think the name is, which has some reggae-ish accompaniment, and one song that falls more into the funk than traditional category. The first is trad with some modernish accompaniment, the second is more modernish with hints of trad.

I have to admit a liking for Sharon Shannon’s Renegade. A couple of the tracks are cringily terrible but others more then compensate. Other modernish folkish stuff at the moment? I am loving Lau. I am still loving Flook (please order a Flook CD from www.baka.co.uk/store - I get to package it for you!)

And if we’re wandering right out of the realms of ITM - BUY AMAN IMAN by Tinariwen. You won’t regret it. It’s the best album I’ve ever bought.

Lau! Cool stuff! New to me. I’m just downloading Lightweights & Gentlemen…

Posted by .