Where’s the music at?

Where’s the music at?

Hi folks.
Recently I have been looking at different places to go to college, and I was wondering, what schools/citys in the Midwestern USA (ie relatively close to Arkansas) have a really good music seen?
Any thoughts would be appreciated.
Arlo

Re: Where’s the music at?

You won’t get into college with spelling like that!!!

Posted .

Also "Where’s the music" would be correct ("Where’s the music at" makes you sound like you work at O’Boobigan’s). Seems like you couldn’t do better than Chicago…

Sure, and St. Louis is in the next State to your North, any place with an "Irish Arts Center" in their city has to be cool, rigyht?

Just beware of drunken fiddlers being forced to perform on St. Patty’s Day in Punta Gorda, Florida. ;-)

P.S. There’s no y in right. (Just keeping on the anal rententive grammatical kick here)

While we’re at it, it should be music scene rather than music seen.

Austin, TX is a great town for live music. Plenty of educational options in the area…

I think the music is at a kind of cross roads, a fulcrum. There is a danger that everyone will simple follow one way and discount the others. At the moment there is a fine balance, but I fear this balance is unsustainable. I’d like there not to be a choice, I’d like the factions to always listen to each other. I’d like the music to embrace everything of quality and not to discount style.

Oh, sorry, was that not what you asked?

Posted .

ummm… no need to capitalize "state" or "north" (now THAT’s anal-retentive!!)

Sorry Ian - I should be editing this pile of work next to me and not the session. If it makes you feel better, my bowing’s pure downbeat and my triplets are about as subtle as boxcars coupling (and there’s probably one or two grammatical errors in there too)

Arkansas isn’t really in the Midwest, but in any case the closest place around Arkansas with a significant music scene would be Memphis. Little Rock, alas, is pretty small-time.

But don’t forget about New Orleans: that’s one hell of a music scene and they can really use some people coming through these days.

No worries Shannon! I know Fellenbaum’s a good lad, but he’s just a lad, everyone go easy now. There’s certainly worse than he on teh innernetz.

Not sure about your bowing and your triplets though. It sounds like you’re not happy about them, I’m sorry to hear, it doesn’t make me feel better at all. Actually, I was doing fine before and now I’m kinda sad. :-(

…but "subtle as boxcars" is pretty flippin’ funny, so… ;-)

Belmont (Nashville, TN)

Go to Chicago - it’ll expand your horizons

It;s at O’Boobigan’s, of course.

Thank you all for your suggestions.
By the way !@#$%^&* (I wonder what THAT spells) I am at current attending a local community college part time and, as I am sure you can imagine, I am more careful with my spelling when writing an exam than when I am posting on the internet. Oh well, no hard feelings, just as long as you don’t insult my playing next (or complement it according the euphemisms thread).

P.S. Watch your back !@#$%^&*,I read here every day, and if i catch you making the tinniest little mistake it’s all over for you. ;)

Ha, I knew it wouldn’t take long.
Mr. !@#$%^&*, in your very own thread (the sound lantern one if anyone is wondering) you wrote the wonderful phrase "Am gonna post around five tracks in total".
As they say, those who live in glass houses should not throw stones.
Arlo.

check out North Texas State in the Panhandle for a thorogh
and strenuous musical education.

Posted by .