Turas recording?

Turas recording?

A recent tune posting mentioned the young band Turas, and I was wondering if anyone knew if their recording(s) were available anywhere? I studied abroad in Galway in 2001, and the one fellow I took flute lessons from said they were a young band who wasn’t really playing together anymore, but he liked their stuff. An online search didn’t seem to turn up anything, and from what I could tell the major Irish music distributors don’t carry the group’s music. Any suggestions?

Re: Turas recording

Turas were formed in 1996. The members were Padraig Rynne (Clare) who plays concertina, Liam O’ Connor (Dublin) who plays fiddle and viola, Padraic O’ Reilly (Clare) who plays piano, bouzouki, synthesiser and Ronan Ryan (Limerick) who plays flute and bodhran. The made a recording called "Turas" in 1997. However, I haven’t seen this recording for sale recently. I don’t think they play together as Turas anymore.
Carrie*

Re: Turas recording?

I think it was a "one-off" recording on their own label, with no major distributer, and would therefore be quite hard to find after 5 or 6 years, since there probably weren’t that many copies made in the first place. You could try "Custy’s" or "The Knotted Chord" music shops in Ennis - the would be the local traditional music suppliers.

Posted by .

Interesting… didn’t realize the group’s flutist was from Limerick— so was my teacher who recommended the group. Guess that probably explains why he was so familiar with them. Anyway, thanks for the information. I’ll look around online and contact the stores mentioned above and see what I come up with.

Turas
Dolmen Records, Corofin, Co. Clare 065-37762

paul

Ossian Music also used to have it - should still. The group is no more - they’re all playing with different people at this stage. Padraig Rynne plays with the group Cian, which has at least a couple of recordings; Padraig O’Reilly released a solo piano recording about 2 years ago, ‘Down the Ivory Stairs’; Liam O’Connor was awarded the TG4 Young Musician of the Year at the annual TG4 Traditional Music Awards in the last year, but I haven’t heard of any other recordings; and Ronan Ryan is definitely still playing, but I don’t know about recordings.