To see or not to see…

To see or not to see…

Hi, urgent advice required.

I’ve just discovered that Patrick Street are playing 5 minutes’ walk from my house on Sunday night. The fee is £9 - that’s about $18 (sorry, couldn’t resist…:-) ). This seems like quite a lot to a poor student like me (especially since I’ve lost my bank card..hmm).

Should I go or not? Are they awesome live or a massive disappointment? Is it worth £9?

Thanks in advance for any advice, helpful or not…
Mehi.

Re: To see or not to see…

II think that’s prety good value … compared to the £95 I’m forking out for Tom Waits.

Posted .

hmmm…to be honest can you think of something equally worthwhile you could be doing with the £9….?no….then go!!!!i know i would!!!

Patrick Street for £9 is a no-brainer. The last time Tom Waits played here in Stockholm tickets were also around £90. For that kind of money I want an artist to play in my living room.

Well we all have different tastes in trad. I certainly would go If I had the chance. A mix of songs and tunes. try listening to them say on Amazon or somewhere…you tube?

Come on, you’ve got to go.

Kevin Burke, John Carty, Ged Foley and Andy Irvine for £2.25 each!
Apart from all being superb musicians, there four of the most pleasant musicians on the scene and all have great stage presence.

You’ll kick yourself if you miss it.

Posted by .

Homophone corner - ‘there’ should read ‘they’re’.

Posted by .

I saw them in Matt Molloys in Westport a couple of years ago for a similar price and would wholeheartedly agree with MacCruiskeen, as would most of my branch members who were going in Coventry (England) the following night, with quite a variety of tastes between us all.

mehitabel - go. I’ll send you the £9.00 if you think it wasn’t worth it.

Posted by .

How can you resist another Kevin Burke staring contest? Plus John Carty plays banjo, fiddle and flute in the band (though not all at once)

£9 for KB et al (on your doorstep, to boot) - do it :-)

p.s. anyone else going to see Leonard Cohen shortly? (serious!)

£9 is ridiculously cheap to see such a great band. Go see them !

Domnull - yes, I am.

Everyone else - keep trying. I’m slowly coming to terms with the idea of losing £9.

Even without Jackie, it’s easily worth it. You’ll be kicking yourself for 20 years if you don’t go…

Unless, of course, you live in a place where DeDannan plays weekly, the Bothy Band practices for a reunion tour by doing free shows, and the Chieftains spend their summers… If that’s the case, then don’t bother :-P

£9, nine pounds, less than a tenner, whats wrong with you? Now, what else could you spend the money on? 3 pints of beer and a packet of crisps or a couple of packs of cheap fags or a celine dion CD - no contest really. £95 for Tom, Michael, it’s 140 euro in Dublin, will be worth every cent. BTW, mehi, Patrick Street, £ for £, are about 10 times better value than Leonard. Be told.

Mr Llig likes Tom Waits. I told all of you all along that Mr Llig was sound.

The bad news for a few others is that I am going to Leonard Cohen, and it cost me $700, or £350 as my daughter used my card to book the tickets. Her card wasn’t working that day, as the network was down in the Cayman Islands where she keeps her account.

Never liked Andy, but $18 for Patrick Street is a steal. People used to pay more to see my group.

But then, I am a real legend.

"Oh boo hoo, look at me, I’m a poor student who needs money for my first-class education, in fact I’m missing Folkworks so I can work instead, I’m so hard off. I don’t know if I can fork out nine hundred pennies to see a great band and have a great time, O, woe is me"
Get you priorities straight woman!

*your

£9 isn’t at all bad.just don’t go to the bar or drink tap water.

£95 for tom waites? - no wonder the piano can afford to be drinking!

the sad thing is…i would pay that!

LOL
I would never have thought to see a thread of any kind, in any context, on any subject, include both Tom Waits (Rain Dogs, Mule Variations, "Lie To Me", that fellow?) and Patrick Street even at this site.

Now, to follow on with this line of logic, how do they relate to global warming and the invention of pasta? Or is this merely economics?

BTW: I would also gladly pay dearly to see Tom Waits live and up close. I might happily pay as much for Patrick Street, living here in an ITM wasteland as I do.

Posted by .

Well worth it! And, BTW, $18 for that concert would also be a "steal" here in NYC….

What say we organise a quick whip-round, to raise the £9 for mehitabel to go and see Patrick Street?

With 46,599 members (excluding mehitabel herself), that’s 0.0193p each. I think I could stretch to that.

"Did ye go, lassie, go ?"

Posted by .