Romance and ITM

Romance and ITM

"As I was a-walking one morning in May
I met a charming young girl, and unto her did say:
‘To love I’m inclined, and to tell you me mind,
I’m somewhat engaged with your Cuckoo’s Nest…’"

Have you ever noticed how being in love makes your music so much better? Maybe you haven’t, because that someone else on your mind stopped you noticing… but it’s true, isn’t it? Kate Rusby and John McCusker were ever so much better when they were together, and Spiers and Boden just seem to make finer music as they have more kids. I would give some Irish examples but I can’t spell the names.

Musicians love musicians, so I vote for a "Dating" box under "Members" and above "Shop".

Re: Romance and ITM

Exactly what I was thinking. I’m sure most of us on this site are single, and we’re always talking about how much better life would be if our bf/gf/SO was into Irish music…

I think it’s what this site has been waiting for.

oh no, my boyfriend already thinks I spend way too much time on this site. plus isn’t it a little late to start putting up grossly exaggerated profiles and fake photos?

Well… just a few days ago a member of this site announced he was in love and 2 days later he threatened us with fights and things. His profile says it all:
https://thesession.org/members/37272

What? Spiers and Boden are now having kids together? I know they’ve been musically innovative, but this really is new ground.

Posted by .

Yes, FtT, I noticed that tragic yet hilarious ambiguity after I’d posted.

After 30+ years together, being "in love" mellows out to something deeper and more fulfiling; but, yes, SO and I do make music together, and I think it does get better with time.
I actually thought I preferred Kate Rusby’s most recent recording, anyway, post-split, don’t go out of my way to hear her live, not my cup of tea, but felt maybe a bit of heartache might have put some passion in that voice, which I did use to find beautiful but bland.
Oh, and I’m sure I remember the line as;
"To love I am inclined, and I’ll tell to you me mind,
"I’d like to clap me hands on your cuckoo’s nest….."

Some of us may be single because we are repulsive.

speaking of romance and ITM - I was looking at Sharon Shannon’s website the other day and it says that her longtime partner Leo Healy died in early May. Poor Sharon Shannon - she’s too young for such trauma. certainly wish her and the family the best.

I’m down, count me in. My bio already sounds like a dating page.

How’s this?

"Gentleman father fiddler looking for single female flute or box player for romance and tunes. Fondness for beaches and palm trees a must. Single mothers happily entertained. Let’s make the O’Brady Bunch."

Frankie Kennedy is the inspiration here, learning an instrument so he could sit beside Mairead at sessions.

He had no ITM background, and no musical background.

I was fortunate. I married a piano player but we have never been able to afford a piano.

Hey SWFL, I saw that "…long walks on the beach with your mother" bit. Does it work?
count me in, too, anyway…(sigh…)

Posted by .

I dunno… for me, banjos and romance don’t seem to go well together for some reason :-/

Humor always works Tom!

However, I did swap it out for something more genuine. I figured I get sarcastic and quippy enough with my posts. ;-)

Hey Reverend, it’s OK, what was that one song about Mary, her box and the banjo player? They lived happily ever after.

On the other hand, can a relationship survive a complete trad incompatibility? If you both play but can’t play together then that is a very hard place to be…..
At least a non trad plying SO could go and watch football or something :-)

The only instrument my wife plays is the human voice (she likes to sing). The person who introduced us to each other (our unofficial matchmaker) warned my future wife that I was a a musician before we met for the first time. Yes, I do like to accompany my wife when she sings.

My bride isn’t into the music. Good thing. Someone has to pay the bills.

It’s romance with her dispite the music, I’m afraid.

I completely agree, Mehitabel.

You are probably too young or far away for me, but any Irish lasses who play an instrument and love to sail would be completely appropriate for me.

We could make music and sail up to the Maritimes in the Summer, Chesapeake Bay in the Spring/Fall, and the Caribbean in the Winter. Have afternoon cruises for paying customers, Irish tunes, Guiness, cheese, sun, warm, water…oh the fantasy.

Quote: "I dunno… for me, banjos and romance don’t seem to go well together for some reason."

Have’nt you ever seen the movie deliverance?