What are your favourite types of tunes?

What are your favourite types of tunes?

Hi, I’m new to this forum, so sorry if this discussion bores the pants off people, but I was just wondering what everybody’s favourite type of tunes were. Personally, I can’t get into slow airs at all. I’m more of a reels/hornpipe man myself and definitely prefer something with a bit of pace.

Re: What are your favourite types of tunes?

Airs take a while to appreciate, like anything you need to hear them played well. IMO It’s too bad airs aren’t a more important part of sessions, but it’s hard to fit an air in when the crack is going. Airs can derail a good, cracking session quicker than a hippy with a trumpet, you need to be around people who are really into airs for it to work. I play them a lot at home, maybe at the end of a session if the mood calls for it.

To answer your question I can’t say I like jigs better than reels or hornpipes. They’ve all got their own things going for them & you can spend a lifetime on them.

You can still teach airs to the session by turning them into something else - jig,reel, waltz or whatever.
Once learned by the magority, you can play the air properly once through, go into the reel, then finish back in the original, and everyone is happy.
Just for devilment, I got the session playing Danny Boy as a waltz one night - it can be done.

This may come as a shock to some people, but I am fond of polkas (greatly underestimated IMO). OK, reels & jigs will do as well 🙂

What’s my favourite type of tune? A diddley tune.
What’s my favourite type of diddley tune? Oooh, I love them all

Posted .

I favour jigs, hornpipes and airs…jigs because they don’t always need to go at manic pace, Hornpipes because they sound more melodious to me than reels and airs because like jigs there seems to be more time to think about what is issuing out of my whistle. I love reels but after many years of playing I still find it difficult to get that relaxed pulse essential for playing these tunes well.
I do like a nice waltz…not so keen on polkas.

Dave.

Posted by .

Apart from the usual suspects of reels, jigs, hornpipes, polkas, slides, slip jigs, highlands (strathspeys), set dances, O’Carolan compositions, waltzes and slow airs, not necessarily in that order, I also like Scottisches, not many of which are played in Ireland. There’s also Rants, which the Geordies play, which are interesting.

Danny.

Slip Jigs and Slow Reels. Won’t do me any good if I ever get down to a non-virtual session again, though.

Posted by .

Being Scottish, and a flute/whistle player, I have a particular liking for tunes from the bagpipe repertoire. There are some lovely 2/4 and 6/8 marches, and also most people on this site I think would like some of the tunes which pipers refer to as Hornpipes , but they have more in common with like Irish reels. eg - try "Train Journey North", "Dr. McInnes’ Fancy" or "Gale Warning".

Posted by .

To paraphrase a comment by our session leader uttered a few months back at about 2 a.m. -

"They’re all great tunes. Every last (expletive deleted) one of them!"

EVERYHTING and almost anyhting!! I am playin’ lotsa slip jigs and polkas at the moment though. I just like a good tune whatever the type.

just neeed to correct myself -EVERYTHING-, sorry.

I love ‘em all. Not every tune, necessarilly, but every type of tune. Maybe I don’t like mazurkas so much, but then I haven’t heard all that many….

Posted by .

Mazurkas? I quite like them, or It! ….the story with mazurkas goes something like this… feel free to refine this. New York and around, early last century, even late C19th. Many Irish and Polish pouring in. Music exchanged. Some Irish return to the ‘ould country’, among them muscian(s) with the Mazurka, the National Dance of Poland.
{There must have been just one or two, because, as you no doubt know, Chopin composed several which have a much wider musicological scope than those of Irish origin. Although his were for (quasi-)classical piano, so his bag was to sound as adventurous as would be expected of a dude in his position.} Hell..I feel bigdave and trevor breathing down my neck….my knowledge of classical stuff is above average but those guys are pro’s….well, bd is for sure…
Anyway, the way I heard it is that, one or two filtered back to Ireland, & on the basis of what they heard, local musicians composed some more, those being variations on the blueprint. That, according to my apocrypha, is why the Irish ones all sound near enough the same, as opposed to Chopin’s.
Incidentally, the Polka, I heard, is not from Poland (or at least what is the present delimitation), but from Bohemia, which roughly corresponds to the northern part of the Czech Republic (I think!). No doubt the more partisan among you will violently disagree here and insist there are no proper polkas outside the Kingdom of Kerry.
..well, I’m sorry, but Flaco Jimenez does some cracking Tejano Polkas, and the Swedish fiddle players are mad into Polskas.

Dan.

Reels, reels and more reels!!! Jigs and hornpipes are grand too. I don’t like airs or slip jigs though. Airs take sooooo long to play and I don’t like the timing in slip jigs. I never seem to get them right!! Polkas and slides are grandest for a break after a few sets of reels.
Carrie*

All the tunes are GREAT, but my favourite ones are the ones I can learn fairly quickly, get to grips with and ‘make’ my own! The ones that others will join in with, ‘cos I’m not a ‘performance’ person. (I like being in the back row.)

reels

I prefer jigs

slides