Interesting article about ITM

Interesting article about ITM

http://www.icmc2008.net/theme/trad

Apparently this was written to "help composers to develop strategies for engaging with Irish traditional musicians ". Would anyone care to suggest counterstrategies, to help ITMians enage with composers?

Re: Interesting article about ITM

for example:

a) pretend you can’t read music
b) pretend you don’t know the names of any tunes you play
c) pretend that you never practice, your ability to play is a congenital gift

It was a nicely written article, though. Showed a lot more understanding than most of what you find out there.

Posted by .

Definitely nicely written by s.o. who knows their onions.

I like how he tells them to go to a session.

But, uh-oh, not this one again… 😉

"It is a particular feature of Irish traditional music that it lacks a deep tradition of percussion, so that the rhythmic intensity of the music has historically been the sole responsibility of the melody player. (The bodhran, the Irish goat-skinned frame drum, has only become ubiquitous in the tradition in recent decades)."

I enjoyed the article and particularly because it led me to some (for me) new Bothy Band videos, including Micheal singing Casadh an tSugain. This is one of those pieces that’s simply beyond good - or at any rate, shows just how good he was.

Loved the pdf that’s linked from it - about the harp. Talks about the parts of the harp considered masculine (front column) and feminine (soundbox). I always wondered what those holes in the back were for!

Looks like "invasion of the music snatchers" to me. Computer music and sonic arts. Sonic arts????

‘Legitimate’ musicians can’t leave well enough alone. They’ll do what they did to Church music in America….Homogonization, uniformization, and PBS Pledge Drivization.

ITM seems to have survived well on its own despite attempts to destroy it. Another assualt only by Virtual Visigoths!

😉

Martin Dowling, in addition to his impeccable academic credentials, is a very fine traditional fiddler in his own right. No danger to the future of Irish music from him - to the contrary, he’s done a lot of good things for the community. Definitely not a Visigoth (virtual or otherwise!).

Posted by .

I enjoyed the link to a clip of Seamus Ennis describing how he learned The Morning Thrush - writen by his dad - from a manuscript. Didn’t anyone tell him you can’t do that?

I enjoyed it too but was bemused by a couple of things such as the ‘circulation of bootleg tapes’ common at sessions ?
better keep that quiet from the performing rights police .

Thank you for providing the link to this article. I thought it was interesting.

Good article.

Note they referenced this website. LOL.