CHevy Chase pub to become a strip joint?

CHevy Chase pub to become a strip joint?

This was originally posted under sessions but it was suggested I move it here. If that breaches the rules then I apologise but…

Our local session is under threat. The venue, The Chevy Chase in Stratford, London, UK may be turned into a lap-dancing club or strip joint if a planning application by it’s owners succeeds.
If you live in or near the area and would care to object to the application please PM me and I will send you details of who to object to. The objection must be lodged before 26th June.

Re: CHevy Chase pub to become a strip joint?

I’m sure the session is more enjoyable so yeah i object!

Why not post a link or summat of the person to object to then we can object even when you’re offline 🙂

Good luck

Posted .

Can’t lap dance and ITM co-exist at the same venue?
It might lead to a variation on the session theme!

The Chevy Chase?!
That’s a strange pub name.

yhaalhouse, this is serious. Too many session pubs are closing down or stopping being pubs.
Paul, do we need to be resident in the vicinity of the Chevvy Chase, ie poll-tax payers to that borough or something?
Can we not just object as sessioneers thus potential users of the pub as it is at present (although I know some people even from this side of the river have gone over and played there, so are users.)

Remember that the pub has an owner who needs to make a living. Not that I advocate strip joints (and not saying I don’t) or that I don’t feel for you and understand your point of view, but who are you to deny him his living?

It’s sad, but what you are saying is that you don’t want him to have his business because it’s inconvenient to you. If you need a session that badly, start up your own pub. Any excuse as to why you cannot is simply bunk, as you aren’t willing to let the owner do as he pleases with his very own property.

Of course people have a right to object to the change in use of a venue, especially if they are regulars or live nearby. Nobody has to remember that the "owner has to make a living". He is the one asking for a change, and if his proposal is seen as detrimental to the community and widely opposed by local people, permission can and should be refused.

If the owner has made a planning application, this information is in the public domain and anyone can find out who he is. There is therfore no reason to not post his name on this site… nothing confidential would be disclosed by doing this.

Really? In the USA, if he wants to change it, the only objections would be from residents who don’t want a strip club around (and honestly, that seldom has any effect). Patrons or potential patrons don’t have a say. Honestly, I’d never open a business where if I wanted to change how I ran it I’d have to run it by my patrons first.

Now looking at the Licensing PDF provided from the link, an objection could be filed stating that a strip club was potentially harmful to children, but it would be a bugger to prove. Public nuisance would be an easier fight. He would, of course, have to change his license for regulated entertainment, and that’s another sticking point, but that part looks kind of like a rubber stamped hoop to jump through as long as you pay the price.

Honestly, I can see the change to a strip club being blocked ONLY because it’s going to be a strip club. If he wanted to turn it into a Country and Western Bar, I don’t see anything here that says you can stop him.

Remember that if he is stopped, and finds out that any member of the session had a hand in it, I wouldn’t count on sessions being there ever again anyway. Tread carefully.

Ashkettle, The guy has 10 other pubs. Anyway, would you like a strip-joint next door to you? How about a sewage plant? Where does his right to do with his premises as he likes start to override your right not to be polluted?

We have already found another place to go to if his appllication wins but that’s not the point.

I don’t think who the applicant is is relevant. Someone else has already raised the matter with his parish priest but I don’t think we should be getting personal.

See if your local church is campaigning against the pub’s use as a lap-dance or strip club; it may well be the main centre of opposition.

A club in Durham got a lap-dancing licence. There was big opposition from at least one local church, and a public meeting was held there addressed by the (quite) well-known feminist speaker Julie Bindel. She did not spare many details of how nasty and exploitative these set-ups actually are, for the lap-dancers and strippers that is. A subsequent appeal to the magistrates got the lap-dancing licence cancelled, not on religious or moral grounds which were inadmissable but on public order grounds or similar. The club is still there, but a recent murder on the premises hasn’t done much for its image.

However, it would be a little out of its territory for the church to devote its energies to saving your session! Unless the nearest one is a Catholic church run by Irish musical priests.

It is and it isn’t.

Funnily enough it sounds as if the biggest group of campaigners are the students that use the place.

The main plank of the objections are being made on public order and nuisance ground as morals vary and it is hard to judge a planning application on moral grounds. There is also loss of amenity which would hold true even there was no music there.

Actually Paul, while you jumped on me with both feet, you followed up by saying that the most effective objections are the ones I listed above as being the most likely to succeed. Do I want a strip club near me? My neighborhood is zoned residential, so it’s not likely. I did live near one in my youth, but at the time I didn’t mind so much. As for the sewage plant…1/4 mile from my home is that exact animal. No smell, no noise. I don’t mind it a bit.

I do think it’s sad that you folks are losing a spot for a session. However, I also think the owner has a right to make appropriate changes in order to make a living. Further, I actually took a few minutes out of my day to find what would be more effective in stopping the changes.

Now, if you simply objected to having a strip club in your neighborhood (which you implied this is not where you live, just where you play music), I can support that. However, objecting solely on the grounds that you lose your place to play is ridiculous. That has nothing to do with safety, pollution or even morality.

But I’m not objecting solely on those grounds, Actually, I’m supporting the other regulars, the bar staff and the licensee.

I’m living in London, I can just shrug my shoulders and go off and play somewhere a bit further away - there’ll always be somewhere else, won’t there? Except that if we all did this then very soon there won’t be. So, I’m supporting the overlapping communities that use this amenity, and it is an amenity and not just a place for selling alcohol.

>>> But I’m not objecting solely on those grounds, Actually, I’m supporting the other regulars, the bar staff and the licensee.

I think Ashkettle’s point is that if the place wants to switch to being a strip club, it’s probably because it isn’t viable as a pub. So by wanting it to stay being a pub probably means that it will go out of business, and that isn’t "supporting the regulars and the bar staff" very well.

Having owned several bars/nightclubs in my life, I had to make some very painful decisions for monetary reasons.

Maybe if you and all your friends found a way to support the pub better so that it made money, it wouldn’t change!

(Now, I will admit that I know nothing about this particular situation, but I have my doubts that the owner wants it to be a strip club simply for personal reasons… I’m sure it’s because of financial ones…)

Paul, you may want to tell us the applicants’ names so we can make credible objections using the link you provided. There’s nothing "personal" about it!

at least it’s not another church.

Since several people have asked for the details here rather than by a private message here is the text of the object we are making. I would stress that we ARE supporting the licensee in this - he has asked us to make an objection as he disapproves on moral grounds.

"We wish to register an objection to the Application for a Premises Licence lodged by Eugene Morgan and Oliver Sheehan in respect of “The Chevy Chase”, 11, Leytonstone Road, Stratford, London E15.

The application is for a licence to include “exotic dancing”. We feel that there is no need for the provision of such entertainment in this area and that it would actually be inappropriate for it to be provided in a residential area. We are concerned that this form of entertainment would attract an unsavoury clientele.

The area has limited parking and this sort of entertainment would attract more cars, causing a nuisance to traffic and nearby residents. The premises itself is long and narrow and unsuitable for this sort of entertainment which would doubtless involve lighting and smoke effects and create an increased fire hazard.

We are also concerned about the loss of amenity. A public house is not just a place selling alcoholic refreshment. It is a public meeting place, a community focus, a common sitting room if you wish, where people may meet, on neutral ground, to discourse and be entertained. Clearly, many people who currently use the Chevy Chase would have no wish to enter it if it becomes a lap-dancing club or strip joint."

Greetings Paul,

I’m a bit confused, which is nothing new really. How does the licensee not have control over the premises that operate under his/her/their license?

Sorry for the distraction and thank you in advance for your patience.

Peace,
Ed

The licensee is not the owner. If the application goes ahead he will leave and the owners will get another licensee.

Thanks Paul, I understand now. Best wishes to you all as you wage this fight. I do hope you’re successful.

Peace,
Ed.

I know, call it O’Boobigan’s - UK and keep the session going

We did joke that we would continue to turn up on Thursdays but as I play accordion there would be no room for a dancer on my lap!

Nicholas(June17th) was actually spot-on about the local Catholic church getting involved. Last Sunday at St Francis of Assisi, Stratford there was a petition for mass-goers to sign objecting to the proposed lap-dancing. And yes the Parish Priest (Fr Kieran) is Irish.
I can vouch for the photo that it’s tiny, maybe they will have to dance on Paul’s lap after all.
Peter
London E15

Bringing back this discussion… Yesterday my friends at the CC told me that it’s a matter of months now… the chain who owns the pub (Punch something) decided that it’s time to sell the place: at the moment there is an offer from russians who would like to make it an hairdresser!!!!!! ….I was going to cry and needed 4 pints more to digest the bad news….

Selling prince is 275.000… russians have already made an initial offer to buy it… so sad we can’t put together the money and keep the last irish pub in east london alive… PG the best manager!!!

Any of you is still a regular at the CC? I’m very often here, certainly every friday and saturday evening after 6pm…. so maybe we met each other there 🙂

Is there anything we can do to save it????????