Our Cat Has Kitted

Our Cat Has Kitted

I’m wondering if anybody knows if there are lyrics that go with the tune found here: http://www.leeds.ac.uk/music/Info/RRTuneBk/gettune/000008b5.html . I find the title compelling; it seems like there should be some story behind it but I’m unable to find out anything else. It appears to be English in origin but that is all that I know.

Re: Our Cat Has Kitted

Doubt it. Kind of a weird little tune in structure (at least for an Irish trad music player), or maybe someone doesn’t know what they’re doing with key signatures and such? A lot of trad tune titles have very little to do with the tunes themselves, often commemorating an event, private (or public) joke, or not very much at all. I shouldn’t worry too much about trying to find lyrics for it, because there very likely aren’t any.

For more on tune titles and their connection to the tunes themselves, read Ciaran Carson’s Last Night’s Fun.

Zina

Hmmm. And it doesn’t seem to related to the tune "The Cat has Kittled in Jamie’s Wig".

From the time signature and structure it looks like a Northumbrian (or other English?) 3/2 hornpipe. Two popular ones are ‘Rusty Gulley’ and ‘Lads of Alnick’ which are played fairly often in our litle part of the world.

Yes this tune is a 3/2 hornpipe.
Unfortunately it is written incorrectly.
Double the number of bar lines, and change the time signature to 3/4 and you’ll get a better sense of how it goes; 1,2,3,4, 1,2 as in "When The Boat Comes In".
All the best
PP