Tunes with Midlands names

Tunes with Midlands names

Was just looking through one of my tunebooks and came across a reel called ‘Birmingham Reel,’ as was really surprised. Being a Midlander born and bred (Birmingham to be precise) I have never really come across many tunes with titles of Midlands towns. Does anybody know of any other tunes that have Midland names?
Thanks

Re: Tunes with Midlands names

I come from Quinton ( near Birmingham), and although we moved to Bournemouth when I was 15, and I now live in Australia, there are still traces of the accent in some words, which my Australian wife takes great delight in mimicking with an accent so exagerated it makes your died in the wool Black Country octagenarian sound like an Eton Prefect.
I have spotted the Birminham Reel, too and will watch this post in case any one knows any tunes with Midlands names.
B

When I see "Birmingham" in connection with Irish tunes I wonder whether it is a mispelling of, and possible confusion with, "Bermingham", which is a surname found in Ireland. Anyone got further input on this?
Trevor

Josie Mcdermott wrote a tune called "The trip to Birmingham" to comemorate a journey he and some friends made from Ireland at the invitation of Birmingham Ceoltas to adjudicate at a competition. Through a series of misshaps - missing the plane from Dublin - re-routing through London - Arriving at the railway station to find the last train gone and hiring a taxi to arrive at their destination at the end of the Dinner held in their honour. The taxi-driver got honoured with a tune too!

I’ve just posted the tune

The Boys of the Loughborough?

…sorry…..

I’ll go away now…

I have played in a band called "Dudley Nightshade" - now defunct.

How about "Pop goes the Wallsall"?
"Boys of Brownhills"

On a less serious note, Bromsgrove and Lichfield have their own Morris traditions with local tune names e.g. Vandals of Hammerwich

Shropshire Lad

The Little Hills of Offally.
Offally’s in the Midlands, isn’t it?