rounds songs??

rounds songs??

i love playing ‘the butterfly’ as a round song with friends, (and ithe effect is really interesting too) are there any other jigs/reels that can be played as a round song?

Re: rounds songs??

yeah, all of them.

Posted .

Hi there! A few important things for ya:

1. You sing songs and play tunes.
2. No Irish tunes are really meant to be played as a round, they’re meant to be played together.

That being said, do whatcha like, it should be a free world.

However, if playing this music in the traditional style is your goal, then there really are no rounds, not in Irish tunes or songs, it seems.

Or, all of them, as Llig said.

You can pretty much play whatever you want however you want, it should be a free world.

…but is it ‘traditional’? No. Does anyone care? I do. [shrug]

Carry on, enjoy!

The only important rounds are those you get at the bar!

😉

You do indeed sir, you do indeed. 😉

We’ve been getting some odd discussion lately, about song rounds, ukuleles, 5 string banjos, the kind of stuff that would make me shudder if it showed up in the sessions I go to. I’m willing to be proved wrong, all those things can work, I suppose, it’s just that the success rate is generally very low. What truly scares me is when these questions come from folks who sound like they’re real beginners, not accomplished players or even very familiar with the Music. I don’t believe it is an “anything goes” tradition.

Some people familiar with the music think it may be an OK thing to do:

“This is one of the few Irish tunes that can be played in rounds. Just like ”Row, row, row your boat“ You’ll only be able to do this when you’re not playing on your own, of course, but try playing one part behind or ahead of everybody else i.e. if everybody else is playing the first part, play the second or third, and when everybody else is playing the second part, play the third or first”

Posted by Jeremy
https://thesession.org/tunes/10#comments

Any answers to the question in the first post ?

ok I stand corrected. Jeremy gets to do whatever he wants.

I’m all for experimental, but the closest I get to rounds in singing Row Row Row Yer Boat with the kiddos.

If I wanted several melody instruments playing different tunes at the same time I’d go to a Bluegrass jam. (hardee har har)

But then is it a traditional tune ?

Perhaps it’s still a tradition tune, but it’s no longer played in a traditional way, i.e. a round?

Scotland the Brave sounds pretty good when accompanied by Jingle Bells, especially in massed band

‘No Irish tunes are really meant to be played as a round, they’re meant to be played together.’

Ian, the second clause is just not true. It might be modern convention to link tunes together, but there are still a few old lags left who’ll only play one tune at a time, and there are plenty of tunes which are seldom part of a set. The last point particularly applies to the Donegal tradition.

Posted by .

My bad Floss, I didn’t meant set-wise, I meant in regards to rounds. “Hey man, let’s rip this jig out, only wait to start the A part until I’m done with that and onto the B part.” Wha…? 😉

I love listening to that old Joe Cooley album, and he does exactly what you’re talking about, just one tune on one track, sometimes a set of two, etc.

Speaking of which, that’s a serious contest for worst backer of all time, wouldn’t you say? Joe Cooley’s bodhran player versus Michael Coleman’s piano player?

Best thesession.org post EVER!

“Scotland the Brave sounds pretty good when accompanied by Jingle Bells, especially in massed band”

If that’s not traditional what is?

It’s been a tradition for years now where I am that, when it’s christmas, you can play jingle bells in G (starting on the B) along with christmas eve.

Posted .

Just as an exercise in the sick and twisted, I occasionally play Off To California directly on top of The Banshee. The disparate rhythms do really bizarre and entertaining things to each other. I have noticed though that most people don’t get it and are very annoyed

hey,
SWFL Fiddler, yeah i meant tunes not songs, excuse my english i’m still learning, sometimes i get the basic things wrong, 😉

from what i gathered from some of the comments its not tradition to play tunes in rounds, well please do excuse my ignorance about this, cos i;m a malaysian who just thought it be nice to learn the tin whistle 😉

I gather “The Butterfly” works as a round, so does “Row row row the Boat” (but is the latter Irish?). I and my late Mum used to sing rounds when out walking. But I have to say the songs/rounds were French in the main,,,