Name that Gort Sesh Tune

Name that Gort Sesh Tune

Track 12 the second reel.

Re: Name that Gort Sesh Tune

Track 12 of what…?

Actually it’s the 2nd tune of Track 16, not 12 on the Gort Session tapes. Those who have it know what I’m talking about. Early ’90s with Kevin Crawford and Tony Linnane

OK.

Is this a tape that us mere mortals might be able to listen to?

Yes. Actually, I got a CD of it from a friend who got it from a friend who got it…yeah. I’m not sure just how the first person got it in the first place, but I bet someone here knows. It seems it’s the talk of the "tunes to learn" before we all go to camp (Lark Camp). I copied them all onto my hard drive and into my ITunes.

I’m sure that wasn’t all that helpful. Sorry.

No problem. I will be at Lark Camp this year so maybe I will be able to grab a copy there…

I’ll have my computer. Bring a flash drive. I’ll also see if I can get a CD copy for you.

Cool. I have one of those little USB flash drives on my keychain so I am totally ready to receive your data transmissions.

Sherry… did you get it from Theo?

No, It’s not the floating crowbar. Yes, I believe Theo gave it to Pierce who gave it to me. It is a G tune. I’m trying to figure it out. I think it starts out: dBAB G3. And there’s another phrase in there that goes: B,EED E3. Not together, tho. Haven’t been able to string it together, but I’m in the process at the moment.

That wasn’t right. It starts like this: BAGE G D3|cBGA BedB|

I’m not sure of the phrasing on that. I"ve got it slowed down so far it sounds like it’s on quaaludes.

Here’s the B part:

D (3GGG EG|DCB,D GB d2|cdec (3ccc AAFF|DFAd fedc| !
-B (3GGG EG|DCB,D GB d2| cdec (3ccc eage|dBcA G2 GE:|!

Oh… you mean disc 1 not 2. Kevin plays The Green Fields Of Rossbeigh and some tune I’ve never heard out side of this tape.

I gave Theo a copy of the CD. I wore out the original that I got back in the early 90s and Brad Hurley was kind enough to send me a copy on CD.

Here, Sherry, I posted the ABCs and a link to the mp3 here: https://thesession.org/tunes/8681

We’ll soon find out if anyone has a name other than "a People’s tune" as Kevin called it.

Well… we’ve gotten to the bottom of this conundrum thanks to Dow — it’s called, "Black Pat’s."

Did I really say "Sherry"? :-/

Uh… I mean Shelly… :-)

Thanks for all your research Jack. Black Pat’s must be on another track, cause that doesn’t sound anything like it. Pierce now tells me it is the Galway. I can get the B part listening to it, but can’t make heads nor tails of the A part.

See you at camp. We’ll figure it all out then!

Jack, your mp3 is indeed Black Pat’s. But that sure doesn’t match what banjobabe posted here. Her ABCs do closely match Redican’s / Galway Reel, if offset by a quaver or two. Compare:

Banjobabe: |BAGE G D3|cBGA BedB|
Redican’s: B|AGEG D3A|BAGA BedB| etc.

Banjobabe: |D (3GGG EG|DCB,D GB d2|cdec (3ccc AAFF|DFAd fedc|
Redican’s: |dG~G2 EGDc|BGBd gdBd|ec~c2 AcGE|FDFA fedc| etc.

My setting of Redican’s is based on the Kevin & Seamus Glackin setting on Northern Lights, where they call it Reavy’s.

I don’t have the Gort tapes, so I can’t check. But is it possible you’re all talking about two different tunes here?

Yep. I checked out the A part with The Galway/Redican’s here and it does indeed match. I kind of like the B part interpretation I wrote out here with a few minor adjustments in the timing:

D (3GGG EGDC|B,DGB d2cd|ec (3ccc A2A2F2F2|DFAd fedc|
_B (3GGG EG|DCB,D GB d2| cdec (3ccc eage|dBcA G2 GE:||

Thanks, MTGuru. And Jack, you must’ve gotten me confused with John Sherry :-)

I see… I was going by the track listing instead of examining the ABCs Shelly posted. I haven’t listened to the whole Gort session tape in a while, but I seem to recall the Galway Reel might be there.

I think we should say, "klaatu barada nicto" whenever we intend to start a tune from that Gort tape.

http://www.tipsyhouse.com/gort4.gif

Oh… and Shelly… John’s cute and all, but there’s no comparison. ;-)

It’s called ‘The Galway’ but does anyone know the name of Track 18 tune 2???

It appears to be in the key of C.