abc question

abc question

Can somebody please tell me how to create multiple staves using abc, and also how to write multiple parts where the stalks of the notes point in opposite directions on the same stave. I’m thinking of submitting some chamber music to the tunes section. Thanks in advance.

Re: abc question

You are such a windup merchant🙂

Posted by .

Thanks, bb, for staving off this discussion.

I do think it’s awful when someone asks a perfectly sensible question, and someone else just jumps on it and knocks them down. Poor Dow.

Frankie Gavin recorded some Handel and
Maurice Lennon wrote an opera (or one of the Lennons anyway)

Would that be the toilet chamber or the bed chamber. You would need the right kind of Abc depending on what your intentions are. I mean the stalks might have to point somewhere else.

Youre right - poor Dow:( mean me :( Sorry for slagging your perfectly good question Dowsie - forgive me🙂

All the aussies come out to play🙂

Posted by .

Nomen est omen.

I’m not aware that you can do either of those things in ABC in quite the way I think you mean. You might try Melody Assistant instead, which perhaps will print it, but I don’t know how you’d post it here. The only way you might do it as ABC would be in version 2.0, and as separated parts (assuming you have clef differences). But try the abcusers group, they might know how you can do it. The only problem would be understanding the answer :?))

I think you’ve spelt that wrong, mutt.

… oh wait …

All the aussies come out to play … wish I could, I’m writing Tongan trumpet parts right now … long story …

Posted by .

Chamber music??…. Would that be music played inside, in a room, without electronic amplification, by a mixed selection of instruments equivalent to the different ranges of the human voice?……..

What would any self respecting trad musician want to be doing that for?
Does it come with beer? (oops, guiness)

Posted by .

Sorry, lost track- this post was about ABC, that would be Ale, Beer, Coopers. (Draught, *Elderberry wine, Foster’s & Guiness.) I had better stop posting, as I am not contributing useful and interesting information now. Cheers.

Posted by .

Dow, maybe if you ask nicely I’ll send you one of the several music notation programs I have lying about here… 😎

There’s that bespectacled reprobate again …

🙂

Ugh! Put them back on. Quick!

Hup, I don’t think Maurice Lennon has ever written an opera or would want to!

Posted by .

Finally cracked ABC. From childkhood.

“ABCDE, goodbye from Wullum and me…………..”

A kid’s TV show. Right?

Floss, hate to contradict you , and you’re not entirely wrong either

I stumbled across this factoid when our Alpha fiddler trotted out this
tune a few weeks ago:

https://thesession.org/tunes/5981

see also:

“ Brian Boru, The High King of Tara, a live musical suite dedicated to the life of Brian Boru, is brought to Glór by musician composer and lyricist Maurice Lennon on July 1. ”

http://www.musicscotland.com/acatalog/MusicScotland_Maurice_Lennon___Brian_Boru__High_King_Of_Tara__1471.html

Upon further investigation I see that the ABC 2.0 standard does allow you to do all those things, including stems in different directions if required, in which case all you need is ABCexplorer, and read the on-board reference material.