Bothy Band--middle tune in Old Hag set?

Bothy Band--middle tune in Old Hag set?

Bothy Band, Bothy Band, Bothy Band--heard about them over and over and thought, “what’s the bleedin’ hype?”. Well, happened to get the “Best of BB” as a 2008 reissue through Compass Records, was happy to pay $18 instead of $50 for a used copy.

Listened to it--yes, without a doubt, they are awesome, instantly my favorite album. Seems they set the standard and we’re all trying to get back to that since.

Love the tune “Old Hag, Ye Have Killed Me”, which is then followed by a fiddle solo slower jig, finished with “Morrison’s”. What’s the name of the 2nd tune? Thanks for the help.

Re: Bothy Band--middle tune in Old Hag set?

The middle tune appeared in Ceol an Phiobaire, a collection of piping transcriptions published by Na Piobairi Uilleann, as “The Old Hag in the Kiln”. I don’t recall to whom the editors and transcribers attributed this tune. Dinny Delaney may well have been the source for the transcription and the tune name, but if it wasn’t him, it came from some other equally worthy source.

ISOC -- I just had a listen …as bogman wrote, the tune is Dinny Delaney’s. Kevin Burke plays a nice version on If the Cap Fits too.

But it is the same tune isn’t it?

oops, cross post

Yeah, they’re the same tune.

Here’s a link to a video of the Bothy Band playing the set in question, where Michael O’Domhnaill gives the names of the tunes first:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=XgXwIIHAmaw&feature=related

The tune is indeed Dinny Delaney’s. What I find interesting about Kevin Burke’s fiddling here is that he makes the tunes sound slow, but he’s moving at a pretty good speed.

Posted by .

Dinny Delaney called the tune ‘The Old Hag at the Kiln’ on the 1899 Feis Cheoil cylinder recording.

Posted .