Cathal Hayden

Cathal Hayden

I am a huge fan of Haydens banjo playing. Is this or the fiddle his first choice of instrument. I would love to hear him just bring out a banjo album. I did love his first album though!

Re: Cathal Hayden

From www.madfortrad.com :

‘Cathal first played banjo winning All Ireland championships at all age levels. He then began to concentrate on the fiddle and within a few years became All Ireland champion’.

Within a few years became all ireland champoin??? Does that mean its possible (although highly improbable) that I could actually be a good player in a few years??
I had resigned myself to the fact that I would never be anymore than an enthusiastic learner.

All of the very best players are enthusiastic learners. It’s a prerequisite.

But to the question. Do you mean: being made to choose, which would he take to a desert island? It’s a no brainer. Everything you can do on a banjo you can do on a fiddle

Posted .

A banjo would make a more effective paddle if you were to make a raft and try to get off the island.

Posted by .

And depending on the size and type of banjo, it might make better firewood in case you need a campfire on a cold night.

"Everything you can do on a banjo you can do on a fiddle"

I humbly contend that Mr llig is wrong- you can make a banjo sound like a banjo, not so with a fiddle.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=wvnCVkg7LFc

But yes, without being flippant. I humbly submit my amended treatise:

Everything you can do on a banjo you can do on a fiddle. … ( …except make it sound like a banjo of course … … …. hmmm … just think about that one …..)

Posted .