NYC "growth" session

NYC "growth" session

on ceolachan’s suggestion (go raibgh maith agat ceol) i’d like to know from people playing in the NYC area, ideally Manhattan, if there are any good "growth" sessions around. i’m using growth instead of slow to describe the type of session i’m looking for. hopefully i can dodge the anti-slow session sentiments. i’ve read those posts and i get it.

anyway, there was a recent thread regarding the slow session at the green briar in brighton, ma and i got curious whether anyone knows of anything similar in new york? i’d love to join in and learn some tunes and improve my technique with some other people also getting started on this trad journey. if there’s not, anyone interested in starting it?

i’m a whistle player, been playing for a few years now. i started by taking lessons from jimmy nugent up at boston college when i was at school there a few years ago. trying to kick my game up a notch and learn more than the 5 - 8 tunes or so that i know now.

slan.

Re: NYC "growth" session

and by jimmy nugent i mean jimmy noonan

good luck, particularly in Manhattan.

The several sessions listed seemed to have been converted to Kareoke and sports bars when I was there last month.

I was in Manhattan for a couple of days and wanted just to sit and listen. No luck though.

I am going to Brooklyn in a few weeks and am told of a session at Coel that is across the river from Manhattan. Their listing here is from 2005. I sent them an email if their listing of sessions was current. Have yet to recieve a response. If I do I will post what I find out.

There is supposedly another one in Brooklyn, north of bushwick, but have not found any details on that one either.

I think sessions in the downtowns of big cities like NY and Chicago are a thing of the past. Real estate is so expensive that the bars must cater to the sports neanderthals, microbrew fans, and T and A afficianados who like places such as Hooters.

They seem to like loud C/W, Kareoke and the like.

Chicago is the same way. Nothing much in the City proper. A couple of places in fairly remote burbs where land is still cheap.

well i know from MairinD’s calender that there are a bunch of sessions left in the area, and at least a few in manhattan (paddy reillys comes to mind…o’neill’s…) but I was hoping to find out whether any of the sessions have a more beginner-friendly atmosphere or specific slow session times

"sports neanderthals, microbrew fans, and T and A afficianados" haha
in my neck of the woods the only places available for people to get together and play acoustic music are personal apartments or houses…and it usually takes a night of drinking and the alluring "after hour" invite to get people together …depressing…

hi folks,

oops, someone should update the new york listings! next time you’re kicking around manhattan, you can try mona’s or the landmark tavern on a monday, swift or dempsey’s on a tuesday, paddy reilly’s on a thursday, o’neill’s or st. andrew’s (more listening than participatory, but they have lovely salads!) on a saturday, and on sunday nights, you have o’neill’s again, or the 11th street bar, or the pig n’ whistle on 3rd avenue. all those would be pretty good for listening, and as for "growth sessions," the landmark and dempsey’s come to mind as being a little slower. there’s another one too, that i can’t think of right now..

as for the burroughs, brooklyn has ceol (used to be wednesdays and sundays, but i would call ahead) and spike hill on tuesdays, and in queens maggie mae’s, murphy’s, the cuckoo’s nest, and maguire’s (i think) all have sessions on various days. an beal bocht in the bronx is supposed to be quite nice on sundays, though i’ve never been, and i think some folks play at the rambling house up there too? i’m not sure what day.

hope that helps! drop me a line if you have trouble finding any of them out there in the muck of the internet. see you ‘round 🙂

I just sent you a PM with some info, so be on the lookout for it. If iyou don’t receive if for some reason, post a note here, and I’ll post a condensed version on the site. (It seems some of my mail gets through, some doesn’t. Same goes for replies being sent to me. Not sure why this is.) Zhenya

It’s not NYC, but there’s a basic//intermediate session here in Fairfield CT (it’s about 40 or 45 minutes by car, about 50 minutes by train from manhattan) that is very welcoming to everybody from hopeful to brilliant. it’s led by damien connolly and runs the last wednesday of the month beginning at 7:30 for about two hours. you can get directions and other stuff from www.shamrockirishmusic.org

Try the Irish Arts Center. They also host many whistle workshops there as well.

I’m not sure you’d find the Landmark as a "slow" session but you’ll never go wrong listening to Don and his guest each week.

Peace,
Ed

By the way you can find a session almost any, if not every, night of the week in one or more of the 5 boroughs. Some are more open than others and most frankly would not be welcoming to a new player that disrupted things.

Peace,
Ed

A friend of mine runs a welcoming session Tuesdays at the Ballybunion in Bay Ridge. You might enjoy that. Ask for Sheila.

Coel in Brooklyn has changed its session schedule. It only has one per week, Sunday evening, from 530 to 830.

It is an open session. Sight unseen, the properietor invited me to play.

So they must be amenable to a variety of skill levels. Sadly, I am in Brooklyn on a Wednesday evening, not Sunday. Does me no good…..

Come to Dempsey’s, it is in Manhattan on 2cd Ave. between 3rd and 4th St. We meet on a Tuesday night starting at 8PM. We go round robin (taking turns to start a set) from 8-10 After 10 you can jump in or tag on anytime you want. You will be welcomed and if you do make it look for me, Doug . I will be playing concertina at the head of the table. Hope to see you one night. Doug

YES! DEFINITELY try Dempseys on Tuesday AND Don Meade’s at the Landmark on Monday is very welcoming.

O’Neill’s Saturday session can be fast and furious…and not always ‘welcoming.’

However, as an alternative on Saturday, try the session in Sunnyside (just over ~ or under ~ the East River) at Murphy’s. It’s run by Dan Neely and is VERY welcoming. 9:00 start time.

Paddy Reilly’s Thursday night is less a session than a performance…

Cheers! Maureen
www.my.calsnet.net/ceolagusrince

I just wanted to add this regarding the Dempsey’s session. It is very big. On any given Tuesday there can be upwards of thirty players. If you happen to be sitting across from Doug (the length of two, maybe three tables) it can be difficult to hear. There is a wide range of playing abilities, from a handful of very solid players (Doug being one of them!) to early beginners. Just something to keep in mind.
Arbo

Just wondering whether anything has changed, for good or for bad, concerning the ITM session scene in the Manhattan area…

*bump*

One more try before letting it go 🙂