Reel from Stonehenge?

Reel from Stonehenge?

does anyone know the name of the tune used in the Irish mandolin break in the Spinal Tap tune "Stonehenge"?

it starts like this:

X: 1
T: Stonehenge
M: 4/4
L: 1/8
R: reel
K: Emin
DE|: F2 FG A2 A2|d^cde d2 AB |c2cdcB A2|cBcd e2DE
|F2 FG A2 A2|d^cde d2 AB|cBcd cAGE|1D2 DC D2 DE:|2~D2 D6||

vid clip:

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=WXGbwIkvh38

mando tune starts at 3:24

Posted by .

Re: Reel from Stonehenge?

Thanks for that clip. I needed that to brighten up my day, Re: the trouble with getting earlier tunes comment(s) on a polka correct…appreciate the laugh!!!

Does your mandolin go up to 11?

Posted by .

its a great tune.

when i tell people i play mandolin, they always if i can play "the stonehenge bit from spinal tap"
its about time i learn it.

also does anyone else get asked if they can play Duelling Banjos?
;)

I suspect the tune is a spoof.

Engaging piece of satire. Innocent of most pop developments since 1970, I was reminded rather of The Moody Blues. They were a likeable lot, on record anyway; but I remember one bit where one of them was doing his best to sound profound in a spoken interlude:

"…VA UNIVERSE….VIBROITES COMPLETE…"

Kept my feet firmly on the ground, anyway.

Anyone else know it? Am I being fair here?

Thanks Tedrick, ended up watching the whole film again clip for clip, I’m sure I know some of these people ๐Ÿ™‚

I would agree with nicholas, the piece is probably a spoof.

Wow, I had totally forgotten about that part with the mando, hilarious, thanks Tedrick!

I think the guys in the band (the actors, that is) actually wrote all the music in the movie. I remember hearing in interview with Harry Shearer (the bass player) after "A Mighty Wind" came out, in which he talked about writing and arranging music…

I believe they made it up. The child can play it on the mandolin, even though he doesn’t play mandolin.

No-one likes a smart ar#e.

Great film.

I used to know a guy who knew the name of the tune, but sadly he died in a bizzare gardening accident. The authorities said the case was best left unsolved.
At his funeral they played "Lick My Love Pump". (in Dm, the saddest of all keys)

Are you sure it was a gardening accident, and not spontaneous combustion? Did he leave behind a little green blob?

Re: asked if they can play Duelling Banjos?

The dreaded wail of the befuddled grockle (holidaymaker) on stumbling half cut, into a session. Yes it happens at least once a week through the tourist season, even heard it requested off a uke player once.
M.