Vincent Broderick Flute player -Composer RIP Thur 7th

Re: Vincent Broderick Flute player -Composer RIP Thur 7th

Oh no! That is awful. Such a tatented person.

Posted by .

No, no, no! Terrible news. Too many greats leaving us lately, and now Mr. Broderick….

Sympathies to his family and friends. Let them know his tunes are played and cherished far and wide, even in Montana, USA.

Posted .

And Australia

Posted by .

That is very sad news, he wrote some great tunes.

Posted by .

A great composer and a sad loss. Darach de Brun

Peter and Vincent Broderick ~ I have been enjoying their music these last few days, it gives me comfort, and I’ve been playing through some of those tunes too while remembering both… I’d like to think this has something to do with the magic in this music, rather than just a coincidence, a connection that binds heart and soul. Two wonderful and multi-talented characters, and that also applies to their families, lovely folk. The world has been blessed by their presence, and some of us have been lucky enough to have passed some time in their company and tutelage. Even if sitting the same session in their presence, their presence would be hard to miss, in music, in heart and in humour. That blessing and generosity continues with their music and our memories ~ and their families… The world is richer because of them…

So sad to hear this.

Another one of the great players/composers has left us,

Vincent was a great human being,and the ultimate pure drop.

Condolances to his family and friends. RIP

kkrell, go raibh mile ma’agat / thank you for the link, greatly appreciated. I’d not seen that before…

Vincent was one of that rare breed who was so highly talented but at all times was a natural gentleman. His musicianship, his abilities as a composer and also his gifts with poetry (The Day I Met the Dorans published in a recent Comhaltas Treoir magazine is a good example) never affected his personality which was always so affable. He was also a natural storyteller with some nice anecdotes on his Turoe Stone recording such as how "The Whistler at the Wake" got its title. I also remember him relating a very interesting story of how his family came to settle in East Galway - a tale involving evictions during the famine times and emigration to Australia - but unfortunately I don’t recall the full details. I just thought at the time that it would be great if someone could do an Archive interview with Vincent but I don’t know if it ever happened. Anyhow he will be sadly missed and hopefully he’s now exchanging tales and tunes with those musicians of a similar ilk (Willie Clancy, Micho Russell, Joe Cooley, etc) who went before him.

You’ll find "The Day I Met the Dorans" in the body of the thread that Martin links to above at the start…

& his brother Peter ~ nicely said Bannerman…

I still haven’t managed to chase up that recording "The Turoe Stone"… I look regularly, including this week again… Someday!

There was a cassette of the Turoe Stone around but I haven’t seen it for a long time. I have a vague recollection (will have to get some of those memory enhancement tablets!) that sometime in the past Walton’s were converting it to CD so it might be worth contacting them. Anyway you won’t be the only one chasing it now ceolachan so hopefully one of us will be lucky! Thanks also for your reminiscences as not too many of the rest of us had the pleasure of meeting his brother, Peter.

Gentlemen both, and the families around them have the same grace and blessing. As we know, tradition is much more than just the music…

Yes, I almost had a copy of that cassette, chased up in Canada, online, but I was too late… Now it will be impossible I think… Though, maybe, as you have given me hope, someone will re-release it for all our pleasure… I hope…

Thanks SWFL for the link - it’s a big endorsement of his composition skills that his tunes are so popular. It’s also nice (and sadly now quite poignant) that his barndance "Around the Fairy Fort" has been selected as the first tune to be played at the Tullamore Fleadh in the attempt to break the world record for the biggest ever session- see http://www.fleadh2008.com/LargestSession.

Beautiful SWFL, the best nod we can give ~ so hear’s another ~

More of Vincent’s tunes: "The Milky Way" / "The Crock of Gold"
& the third reel is "The Green Mountain" ~ nicely played too…
http://www.nme.com/video/id/Z-RfBDqzvPw/search/donohoe

http://www.rte.ie/radio1/ceilihouse/1177834.html

Ceili Hous: Programme 27: 19th July 2008

Another chance to hear the wonderful Vincent Broderick and his family and a group of friends. They gathered in Studio in the RTE Radio centre to celebrate the launch of Vincent’s new book of tunes and to celebrate the man himself. This programme was first broadcast on May 31st 2008.

My pleasure all, but all thanks to the man himself for his wonderful life and music, and thank you Mr. C, I now know what I’ll be listening to this afternoon…

We play a lot his tunes in my neck of the woods and they’re all solid favorites. How lucky we are to have his compositions.

Best wishes to all the Brodericks, musicians or otherwise.

Vincent Broderick Book and cd Volume 2 tracks on Radio 2nite

New Show Night Every Friday nights 9pm Irish Time ……….Tracks from the New Vincent Broderick Book and cd Volume 2
Martin Donohoe presents, “The Wind that Blows” Show every Friday night on Shannonside Northern Sound Radio . A one hour weekly Irish traditional/folk radio show and Playing and introducing world and roots music both traditional and world crossover, and taking you on a musical journey across the globe
From 9.00pm to 10pm The show is a gathering place for all things "folk"- artist info, resources like the folk festival listings, and most especially good music and song and lots of it. .The radio show is on the web for family and friends overseas - http://www.shannonside.ie/
The show is part of the Nyah Co Cavan arts group work in keeping music live and giving access for all to the culture
Each week, you can count on hearing the finest selections from new releases. We also offer occasional concert performances, recorded exclusively for the Wind that Blows , along with original interviews with some of the top names in the music world
If you have a CD you wish to have played or if you want to promote your tour/Gigs, share news etc email info to martindonohoe@iolfree.ie
Golf Links Rd Cavan Town Co Cavan Eire

I’m also very sorry to hear about Vincent’s passing, but he certainly had a good innings.

‘The Turoe Stone’ was released by Comhaltas in 1992 and only in cassette format. Maybe CCÉ might be persuaded to reissue the album as a CD, if enough pressure was put upon the organisation.

Here’s what I wrote about Vincent for ‘The Rough Guide to Irish Music’ in 2000.

One of the grand old men of Irish music, flute player Vincent Broderick was born in 1920 near Loughrea, Co. Galway. Adopting the East Galway style, Vincent began playing on an instrument donated by a local priest and, along with his similarly endowed brother Paddy, soon became a popular player at house dances. The only flute player to have won an All-Ireland title on an instrument of his own making and with his own composition, Vincent subsequently moved to Dublin and became a popular mainstay of sessions in the city. A fine composer too, he published 68 of his own tunes as ‘The Turoe Stone’ and an identically titled cassette contains 32 of these. Accompanied by his sons Lawrence on flute, Des on fiddle and the notable Cavan fiddler Antóin Mac Gabhainn, Vincent’s compositions belie the recency of their origins in a timeless flow of magical musicianship and provide some imaginative new titles at the same time - ‘The Plasterer’s Dream’ and ‘The Whistler at the Wake’ being two enduring examples.

Posted by .

Yes, the length of plumber’s copper tubing that Vincent and Peter turned in to a flute for the All-Ireland, an emergency as his current instrument was suddenly out of commission… They used a piece of the same pipe to make a lip plate… Peter was particularly good with his hands when it came to brazing and fine work. Peter was also fond of old watches and clocks, later having a caravan alongside the house to keep them all in and do his repairs. It was one way to remove all that gonging to someplace not inside the main house…

Martin, I’ve been trying and all I find at the end of your link is ~

"Anything Goes With Oliver Muldoon" ~ Friday 9 - 10 p.m.

And even that doesn’t want to load and play… 😏

?!? ~ Tuesdays 9 - 10 p.m. Martin O’Donaghue’s Traditional Hour

sorry ,the station website is getting a revamp and facelift ,my show is the Friday evening spot 9pm

will check why it will not load with station techies

You mean I missed it? I wouldn’t have given up so quickly. I’ll try again next Friday. Thanks Martin, and thanks for setting time aside to promote the music with a radio show too…

Consider adding that to your details and a link as well. My head doesn’t always agree with my requests, but remembering your member name and going there to link through for a listen isn’t likely to fade…

Flute player -Composer

Vincent Broderick must have been wonderful!
Condolences & best wishes to his family.
Thank you PaddyCmusic for your recent thread about Vincent.
Thanks again to Martin Donohoe, ceolachan, Bannerman, Floss the Tethers & everyone for sharing your stories of Vincent & Peter .

Posted by .

Just home from his funeral-an inspiring, spiritual and musical celebration of a life well lived. Grateful for his legacy, sad for his family, proud to have known him. Ar dheis de go raibh a anam dilis.

Re: Vincent & Peter Broderick ~ All-Irleand Champions on the flute

1953, Athlone ~ Vincent Broderick

1954, Cavan ~ Vincent Broderick

1955, Loughrea ~ Peter Broderick, on the copper flute, the length of plumber’s pipe that Peter turned into a flute…

I had to await confirmation from elsewhere with regards to my own information, as the tale I had been told and as I’d remembered it. When a well known and accomplished Irish musician told me I had it wrong, having been raised with a dominant father that often did his best to adjust my information and inclinations, bad or good, I gave in, against my better knowledge, to his misinformation. To repeat ~

It was Peter that won the All-Ireland in 1955 on the flute he’d had to make because his own was unplayable at the time… The laugh was that Vincent stepped aside for him, but Peter was as accomplished on flute and whistle in his own right.

They were both a blessing on this music, and to family and friends. Their influences and contributions continue…

Re: Vincent Broderick Flute player & Composer & so much more ~ RIP Thur 7th

The collections ~ recommended ~

"The Turoe Stone Collection: Traditional Irish Flute Solos" (Vol. 1)
Original compositions by Vincent Broderick
Waltons Publishing, 1990
ISBN: 1-85720-061-6

"The Turoe Stone Collection, Volume 2: Traditional Irish Flute Solos"
Original compositions by Vincent Broderick
Waltons Publishing, 2007
ISBN, book only: 978-1-85720-200-7
ISBN, with CD: 978-1-85720-201-4

There is a lovely picture of Peter in Vincent’s 2nd collection, page 4 ~ Peter with his homemade copper flute in hand and his 1955 All-Ireland trophy. The photo also shows clearly the lip plate Peter had fashioned for it from another bit of the pipe…

REELS ~ C: Vincent Broderick

"The Tinker’s Daughter"
https://thesession.org/tunes/353

"The Crock Of Gold"
https://thesession.org/tunes/433

"The Fox on the Prowl"
https://thesession.org/tunes/501

"The Flagstone’s of Memories"
https://thesession.org/tunes/806

"The Midsummer’s Night"
https://thesession.org/tunes/2040

"The Coachman’s Whip"
https://thesession.org/tunes/2227

"The Milky Way"
https://thesession.org/tunes/2241

"The Rookery"
https://thesession.org/tunes/2958

"The Old Woman from the Glen"
https://thesession.org/tunes/7064

"The Old Station House"
https://thesession.org/tunes/8100

"The Rainbow’s End"
https://thesession.org/tunes/8483

Very sad news …..
May he rest in peace.

I’ve just got the Turoe Stone Collection Vol. 2.
I enjoy listening to the cd almost every day,
but I was wondering who play on the cd
except the bonus archive tracks by himself.
Does anyone know about it ?

Hi guys my name is Lauren Broderick and I am Vincent Brodericks grandaughter.
I would just like to say thank you for all your lovely comments about my granddad and his music, Unfortunatley my Grandad was never a very technical man so he never got to read the wonderful comments you wrote about him but he would be delighted to know that the love he had for music was passed on to other because that’s all he wanted to do in his life and he accomplisehed it

Thank you
xxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxxx

Lauren, take some comfort and even cheer that your Grandad’s music will be widely played and enjoyed for generations to come, long after all of us are gone. Here in Helena, Montana, USA, we played Stoney Brennan just last Thursday, and a talented little eight-yearold girl did a lovely, lively step to it.

Do pass along our condolences—and our high esteem for Vincent and his music—to your family.

Posted .

Yes - we play lots of his tunes in Australia too. Wonderful talent.

Posted by .

Vincent

A good Irish flute pkayer is the best,
You are blessed Lauren.

Posted by .

Vincent Broderick RIP

Vincent Broderick has passed away aged 88.

He is survived by his wife and children

Re: Vincent Broderick RIP

Sorry.But the Irish Times only reported the story yesterday!

Re: Vincent Broderick RIP

Sorry to hear about this sad loss,, I did not know much about the man , other that he has wrote some of the mose Powerful of Flute Tunes,,,
jim,,,

Re: Vincent Broderick ~ flute player. composer, artist, poet, generous & gentle soul ~ RIP

Still in my heart and, no doubt, some of what makes up the better part of this peculiar character. In a reflective mood I’m visiting old friends, by way of tunes and memories…