Twin Fiddles

Re: Twin Fiddles

"Ciarán Ó Maonaigh & Aidan O’Donnell: Fidil"
Track 8: "The Gravel Walks to Granie"

~ recorded on location in the Glen of Granie in Co. Donegal

You’re losing too much of your beauty sleep Hiro…

Octave playing ~ which I adore ~ mmmmm!!! :-)

That’s how it should be done.

Yes indeed, lovely…

That was fantastic. I’ve been trying to drop down octave-wise recently where possible and tasteful. Great fun.

For example, Egan’s Polka can be played at two different octaves on the fiddle.

Here’s another for you to try ~ "The Rakes of Kildare", but I think you might consider starting up a new discussion just on this topic ~ the playing of octaves, recorded examples and other tunes that work well under such treatment… But first I’d give that string vest of yours a good scrubbing… 8-)

O.K. I had to look. Had no idea what a "string vest" was so googled it. Trying to get over the vision as I write this…
So, in ITM,the preferred way of playing "twin fiddle" is in octaves?

Yes, it is part of the tradition, but, of course, not the only way… I’ve even heard tunes lilted in duet an octave apart… It can be partial or the complete tune, and isn’t limited to the fiddle…

as a northerner i feel it only fitting to point out that in them places ‘down south’ they do the twin fiddle thing as well… bitta nyah in this: http://www.stumbleaudio.com/#patriciaclark/9
that’s patricia clark and mark donnellan, mark of the tulla ceili band… yes i do know ‘em but what harm to advertise ‘em, i love that track… one of my favourites off any cd ever.

Posted by .