Scottish Fiddle Orchestra

Scottish Fiddle Orchestra

would anyone have any information about this orchestra? i heard a recording of theirs on the radio a few days ago. i think the piece was called ‘The Music of Spey’ (feel free to correct me if i’m wrong). i have been to the website and everything and have sent them an email but i just thought i’d give it a shot and see if any of you would know anything about them.

oh and an after thought, where, bar at thesession.org!, is it good to get sheet music of folk music pieces?

Re: Scottish Fiddle Orchestra

your last question …. well let me say: yes, might be good to have sheet music (but it is not a must). BUT: imagine you have the floor plans of a finnland style log house. would you be able to build that house without having a finnish carpenter at hand who gives you advice and help? their special skills you can

Didn’t somebody start a similar-to-the-Session.org site for Scottish music?

Zina

thanks for the concern crannog! i realise it may be more near to the tradition to learn by ear but i want to have pieces written down so that when i go away to university i have it on paper to show my tutors. i have opened my ears and just because i have a piece written down doesn’t mean i have to play it as written. there is always room for interpretation, ornamentation and imagination.

i didn’t realise someone had! i’ll check the links section maybe it’s there! thanks