MP lobbies Air Minister over clear instrument policy

MP lobbies Air Minister over clear instrument policy

Ok declaration of interest time - this is my party leader doing this, but thought it was worth noting incase any other session.orgers wanted to write to their MP and get a little pressure building. Little acorns / mighty oaks and all that??

Anyway check out the link.

http://www.sdlp.ie/news_item.php?id=7611

Re: MP lobbies Air Minister over clear instrument policy

Someone is listening and it is in discussion. I’ve read the hell some of our members have been put through, with the likes of Ryanair. I hope this results in a positive outcome for us all… As a kid I had an instrument beat to death by an airline company, something that still festers in the deep recesses of my experiences and had a powerful and lasting effect… Any improvement and clarity here is welcome…

I think the “Approved guidelines for aviation security” are quite clear and fair.
It is rob-dog airlines who flaunt these “requirements set down by the DoT” and I put two fingers up to them.

The only rider is that “airlines and airports may have additional measures in place, for instance purchasing an extra seat for a large musical instrument”. This means that the additional measures are only for security purposes, not for weight or speed of boarding purposes.

They can decide not to sell you a ticket, but if you inform the airline of your intentions, if you can prove you are a bone-fide musician and you fulfill the above, they can’t stop you taking your instrument onboard.
These “requirements” are not optional

‘‘Yes I have been put off playing abroad too!!’’
I took my fiddle on as hand luggage when going to play over in
Holland,, Easy Jet said it was ok - But what they never told
me was when I got to Security, All my spare strings and £40+
good strings where took off me and put in the bin,,I was told
only strings on the Instrument where allowed,,And that was that. - BUT, What was to stop me when I got on the plain Taking my E string off the fiddle then - grotting the Pilot in
Mid Flight- lol……
jim,,,

Anything for a buck or a euro….

That’s why the airline industry is dying…..complete lack of customer service orientation.

They should be flying freight

20 years ago I had a friend who was a cellist. There was this list the airlines had for what instruments could be brought on an airplane and what instruments had to checked as baggage.

Mike would fly with his cello and tell them it was a viola, and not knowing the difference between the two, they would check their list and see that a “viola” was allowed in the cabin and let him bring his big cello case on the airplane.

Don’t expect to see those days again.

ceolachan, I always assumed you were a kid before airlines existed.

Maybe this is because your CV in these threads seems to include every ramification and manifestation of ITM and related trads since O’Neill!

This is why I prefer to drive when I travel. Of course, both of my instruments are too large to be carried on an airplane.
I don’t like travelling by airplane anyway because my ears don’t like the pressurized air in the airplane cabin and the seats are too close together in coach. The last time I travelled by plane, I never felt as if I could really stretch out my legs all of the way while I was sitting down and I am only seventy inches tall.
If my conversion table is correct, seventy inches converts to one hundred seventy-five centimeters in metric.

SDLP? This should go far.

You are sacked JfiddlerH, we have our reputation as revolutionaries to consider.

Just taken a look. Blow me the SDLP have THE crystal ball. I note that they have the drop on what is about to happen on Sunday 31st August 2008. When will I be famous please Mr. MLA ?

Desi

What’s the significance of Sunday 31st August 2008??