The Late Mickey Finn

The Late Mickey Finn

Does anyone know if there are any recordings available of the late Mickey Finn, fiddle player, who used to play with Frankie Gavin and Alex Finn in Galway City in the early 70’s of the previous century. He then went on to lead sessions in The Crane, in Galway City, and was still doing so till maybe 1984-ish. The story goes that drink got the better of Mick, but I would happily be corrected.

Also is Mick Finn’s reel merely eponymous, or by the aforementioned unsung genius?

Danny.

Re: The Late Mickey Finn

I thought a Mickey Finn was a spiked drink, but there you go.

I was hoping no-one would state that very obvious pun, but there you go.

The whistle player Sean Ryan plays a lovely air named Mickey Finns. Does anyone know if it was named after him or composed by him?
I know it’s just asking another question but as it’s about Mickey Finn….

Dave.

mickey finn`s air was originally composed on piano by mickey`s father bill in callan, co. kilkenny circa 1950 where the finn family then lived. mickey used it and adapted it years later and played it on the soundtrack of the welsh trilingual film a pair of shoes in 1985. mickey called it `the father`s tune`. bill was delighted to discover that mickey had used it and only heard mickey`s version after mickey`s death in 1987. the tune subsequently became known as mickey finn`s air and was recorded by alec finn, sean ryan and gerry carthy. the poet gerald dawe, who lived in galway at that time named his 2014 collection after one of his poems, called mickey finn`s air.

http://youtu.be/_Sg9iDmQCh4

There you go, Billy. I posted it on “Youtube” earlier this year. Love the tune. I’ll update the information accompanying the clip later today. Thanks for the information.
All the best, Kenny

Starts in at about 45 secs.

grew up with mickey finn and his brother billy ,i think there was another brother ,johhny but i cant remember ,anyways we all went to the local C B S in the town of callan co kilkenny,and then to the fair green for a game of hurling,i was saddened to hear of mickeys death ,circa 85,may he have eternal rest,jesse gavin from the town of callan ,former soldier

Jesse,
Great to see your comment. I remember you well, and all your family. We had an idyllic cxhildhood in Callan from 1950 on…Callan being full of young families. Mickey, or Mike, as we always called him, excelled at hurling and golf in Callan. We were heartbroken when we left Callan in 1963. My brother John, being a songwriter, has put up a lot of stuff on Youtube and it includes footage of Mickey….look up Johnny Finn Galway on Youtube.
Billy