midcoast maine itm?

midcoast maine itm?

hello. i’ve been offline for several months now, in process of moving from southern indiana to midcoast maine (penobscot bay area). and i miss my tune buddies. i had rotator cuff surgery on my left shoulder in may, and my barely competent fiddling has suffered, but i’m working on that. i also play concertina, and i bought a mandolin that i can use reasonably well when the fiddle hurts too much. ANYHOW, does anyone out there know of any ITM or maritime musicians i could get in touch with here, who i might share some tunes with?

thanks in advance for any help.

Re: midcoast maine itm?

Seamus Connolly now lives in Maine. Don’t know where, exactly, but as a fiddle player it would be worth looking him up at least.

‘tinamatt,

Definitely try to contact Seamus for lessons. There is a fine concertina player in Kittery, and I know of a few other good musicians scattered up and down the state. If you email me I will try to put you in touch.

Paul

Let me know if you find one. I travel up to Tenants Harbor on
occasion and would love to find a session.

there’s some great musicians in the portland area…a few years ago a piper called Tom Rota was organising some great gigs and sessions rondabouts…I think the web site is Blue or something like that..I’m sure he’s esay enough to find.

Don’t know how far this is in relation to you — and you’ll have to wait until next summer — but I’ve heard people rave about the Maine Fiddle Camp [http://www.mainefiddle.org/]. From what I understand, there are a number of different fiddle traditions in play (Appalachian, New England, Scots/Cape Breton, etc.), which has kinda become the "fiddle camp way," but the staff is unfailingly top-notch and attendees seem to get a lot out of it.

Posted by .

the website is "boghat" well worth having a look

thanks all, i’ll check these gems.

matt