Playing for the sheer joy of it?

Playing for the sheer joy of it?

Can I put a question about intention? This was prompted by the Micho Russel thread, which got me thinking about the reasons why we play music/sing/dance. When you practise what’s your core motivating thought? I veer between - I’ll learn this tune because it’s played at sessions and if I learn it I can eventually join in without embarrassing myself - and on the other side - sheesh, this is such a beautiful tune, I’ll learn how to play it just for the sheer joy of it and to celebrate the beauty of the music. And I’m happy playing this in the best way I can, for these reasons, by myself, in this practise time.

I’d like to think I play, sing and dance simply for the joy of it and to celebrate the moment but I know that much of my motivation is much more mundane (gotta learn this tune/song/dance right now so I can get out there and show everybody I’ve finally nailed it….!) What do others feel?

Posted by .

Re: Playing for the sheer joy of it?

I only play for the enjoyment of it. Luckily most tunes played at session are good tunes and fun to play. I do have a Large repertoire of tunes i like playing that nobody else seems to know tho.

Pretty much the same for dancing. I enjoy choreography the most tho.

๐Ÿ™‚

I play because it makes me happy. Other people happen to enjoy it, too.

Posted .

That’s a very cool profile shot on your Myspace page!

Posted by .

Cross post - that’s davddy’s myspace page.

Posted by .

I try not to think when I play. Sometimes I do think, but it’s not as much fun

Posted .

Thanks… to be honest… i really can’t quite do that anymore. Maybe after a few stretches and a muscle relaxant.

๐Ÿ™‚

Why else would one do it? Aside from my family, my friends and our music brings me the most joy on the planet.

Now when I play tunes with me Da, then the joy-meter explodes. ๐Ÿ˜‰

I play only for fun, but "fun" for me is not only about living in the moment.
So sometimes I bash away at patterns and ornaments that are
beyond me - you wouldn’t want to listen to it, but it’s not meant for any
audience.

I play for enjoyment and music-making is also an important part of my spiritual practice.

I am a court reporter and spend my days steeped in tales of dishonesty, buck-passing, lethal excuses, and sometimes terrible violence. (A few weeks ago, I was working in a courtroom when an in-custody in the holding cells a few feet from me nearly succeeded in hanging himself.) Music is a tremendously helpful coping mechanism for me in the face of all this. It reminds that the world also includes beauty and creativity, and I can be part of that as well as the opposite.

I agree, it’s mostly a release for me, that’s what most people will tell you (I would think) .

Since playing tunes with people is, for me, much more fun than playing them on my own, I don’t see any conflict between learning tunes because someone else plays them and learning tunes for the fun of it. I also get to find out why some of these tunes are so popular, some of them I hated until I found myself playing them at sessions and then I started to see what was worthwhile about them. I’m not wild about the Kesh now, but I can actually enjoy playing it, which I wouldn’t have done if I only played for my own pleasure and the sheer joy of it.

I play for fun, but the tunes I really like and pick up quickly because I do like them I play for joy. It’s a way to spend time with my husband, too, since even in a busy day, we can still sit down together and hammer on some tunes. There’s somethinga about the swing of the music that enchants me, even when I’m playing solo, but thegroup dynamics when everybody is together on something is like fitting in where you belong.

I’m useless at playing and don’t really like it anyway but I’m obsessed with trying to be Irish and Irish culture.
I’m mainly Deutsch with a hint of Iranian and Chinese but I wish I was living in a croft on the West Coast in sixteenth century living on bacon & cabbage and spuds, speaking Gaelic, going to Mass and spending every night in the pub drinking Guinness and reeling and a-jigging with beautiful milkmaid colleens in long period dresses, flashing green eyes and beautiful long hair.
I’m also (rather unsuccessfully) studying Gaelic, Irish history (the more miserable bits mainly), read Joyce, Heaney, Flann O’Brien and almost anything about the old ways and I always try to remember to spell "you" as "ye".
I go to sessions to play a bit on my whistle, but as I say I’m not very good and quite sh*te but it does make me feel more Irish rubbing shoulders with real Irishmen with accents.

Just wondering, did anyone here begin playing music from childhood?

Here are some of the reasons why I play music - because I’m in a good mood, because I’m in a bad mood, because I’m happy, because I’m sad, because I what to go out and drink beer all night but don’t really want to talk to people, because I want to go out and talk to people, because I’ve been playing since I was little and it’s part of my life, etc…..

Here are some of the reasons why I don’t want to play music - because I’m in a good mood, because I’m in a bad mood, because I’m happy, because I’m sad, because I what to go out and drink beer all night but don’t really want to talk to people, because I want to go out and talk to people, because I’ve been playing since I was little and it’s part of my life, etc…..

If you play just for the sheer joy of it, bets are on that you are extremely sad!

I play for the same reason other people play football or paint or read. I like doing it, so I do it. Having to practise is a part of playing music, so I enjoy it also. I don’t see practising as a burden, it’s all part of The Thing.

And I’m actually not extremely sad ๐Ÿ™‚

Posted by .

I like catchy tunes that make people tap their feet and want to dance. Thats what tunes are for.
Sod slow airs to send people to sleep.

Can’t believe you’d say that geoffwright. It’s light and dark, fast and slow. Sure, fast catchy tunes are great but they’d wear you out in a way. You need a bit of balance and slower tunes are where the deeper meanings lie.

Posted .

I play for fun, and also for the deeper satisfaction that comes from music. I also work at it, but that is to develop the skills I need to make it even more fun in the long run.

Its my drug of choice.

I’m a lonely woman with my my own west coast croft where I play the harp most days and sing sean nos songs to myself in my lovely West Clare accent. I play because I don’t have tv or any modern things and I’m just whiling away the time before a tall dark foreigner comes along to whisk me away to a far off land, or maybe just the next village.

I make my own clothes, which are long gowns in red, green and silver, very highly embroidered. I made my own harp out of local wood and sheep gut strings. I have lovely long red hair in jet black ringlets and piercing sharp green eyes. I play for the loss of my lover who has been away at sea for 7 years, I’m sure I wouldn’t recognise him if he came back, which is why I’d go off with the foreigner, or any auld rich farmer that happens to come calling.

Sound like I’m the answer to your dreams. Or you’re the answer to mine…
Apart from all things Irish, You wouldn’t happen to like collecting potato peelers and hot water bottles? And have an interest in SyrupStik, Hair-Hat-Araldite and other wig glues?

yhaalhouse… back off… she’s mine!

My intersts include… Music, Dancing, Books, Relaxed sunday afternoons, taking long walks on the beach and poking dead things with a stick.

๐Ÿ™‚

I’ve played music since I was a little kid. I just don’t know any other way, so I’m stuck with it.

There are worse things. Never met a musician yet who wasn’t glad to be one.

Playing and practising is fantastic but you have to admit that theres a sureal sense of satisfaction when you play in a group and the whole pub r clappin n tappin along with ye. I love it even though its rare i do it.

I just recently picked up the accordian, It’s a Hohner 2 Row Diatonic. I think I could acquire a sheer joy of playing if I could learn how to play it. I’ve been Contra dancing since I was 16 but we’ve always had to travel at least an hour and a half to get to them. Now, cooperation from a local church has allowed us to host one of our own. A few of us are dedicated to learning to be calllers and musicians for this project but i’m afraid that a lack of variety in the way of instruments may make for a less than jubilant dance. I understand that learning this new instrument will not be easy or come quickly but I feel that being able to carry some simple notes added to a band of quitars and mandolins will add quite a bit to the sound. So if anyone has some suggestions, they would be appreciated. I’m in Somerset, Kentucky, and I want to learn to play mostly celtic tunes.

i play to annoy other people like playing out of tune playing too fast a lot louder than everyone its just sheer joy you get the daggerlooks etc breaking wind as you change keys is a good one , takes everyones mind off your sweaty armpits

A guitar/mandolin player freind of mine once said music is the glue that holds life together.

Many good reasons above…but in alot of ways, pure escapism.

Our liturginazi keeps asking me to sing-I am an instrument person with a mature ๐Ÿ˜‰ mens voice of limited range-but rock solid and I read music. I tell her I play, not sing.

Why she asks?

My only response…. It’s what I do. In a nutshell

It’s escape; it’s consolation and therapy; it’s shameless self indulgence. Most important: it causes children to go spinning around in circles.

My mother was a music teacher who began teaching me how to play the piano when I was seven. She did this because she heard me trying to imitate what I heard my mother and her piano students playing on the piano. So my mother decided to teach me how to play the piano correctly.
That was more than forty years ago and I still enjoy playing music—both as a soloist and with a like-minded group of mixed nuts such as you might find at your local Irish session.

Fiddlebabe’s West Clare accent invites a question. Does she sing like Micho Russell? He came from there. He was a great muso (see other thread) but his singing voice was one of the most startling and bizarre sounds ever to issue from the throat of man. It was couched in an accent I have seen described as "from the West of Mars". I lie awake at nights wondering if everyone in West Clare sounds like that. No, I don’t, really, I imagine MR was a bit of a one-off even in West Clare. So come on, Fiddlebabe, put our minds at rest and say whether or not you sing like Micho Russell. If you do, I think there’s a case for sending in an exorcist.

Anguish focuses the mind and makes for better playing. I employ strategically placed adhesive tape and a variably constricting harness below my clothing to ensure I maintain focus. By these means am I freed from all distractions, but mainly from that deeply annoying distraction some call ‘joy’.

Even a man with the perspicacity of C. S. Lewis was surprised by that rascal joy, demonstrating its sneaky nature.

Yes, ‘joy’ is a fun word to say or to sing aloud (try it!), but as a state of being joy will always pale next to good ol’ misery.

"Any impure thoughts son?"

"Yeah, the barbed wire’s killing me."

I definitely play for the sheer joy of it. It is healing and refreshing to me. I love playing by myself, with a group, and with or without an audience. I choose music based on my personal taste, or occasionally by request (played for a wedding recently). It’s all good!

I think the device (as worn by members of Opus Dei) is called a ‘cilice’.

Is that what Christy Moore’s problem was? I thought it was just the DTs.

When you say "good ol’ misery", New Pure Drop Ear Canal Oil, are you talking about the state just to the north of Arkansas?

Krick— there was no Guiness in the 16th century. other than that, your phony nostalgia is brilliant ๐Ÿ˜‰

LOL fauxcelt! That’s right, misery, the Show Me State. ๐Ÿ˜‰

Playing music is cheaper than therapy.

Oh wait, considering the cost of a good full set of pipes, it probably isn’t.

Oh well.

๐Ÿ™‚

playing music is more therapeutic than therapy!! i like to eat too, but not for the sheer joy of it. if i don’t, i’ll become ravenous, weak, irritable and distracted….

Aye. Not to mention it is a better way of focusing one’s energy. It is far more conducive to strap on the pipes and hammer out a few tunes than, for example, call the DVLA and tell them that they run a huge f*cking racket and are a bunch of w*nckers.

What is a tosser?

Posted by .

O.K. censors!
What is a w a nker?

Posted by .

Same thing—someone whose behavior makes you want to toss them out the door.

Posted .

So in Australia on opening day the President tosss the 1st ball?

Posted by .

Now that is what I call synonymous.

Posted by .

Joy, awe, wonderment … I can be quite moved by a beautiful aire.
I also play for the good company of people.

Posted by .

We don’t have a President in Australia - although some would say we share the one from the US…who doesn’t appear to be awed by ITM…

Posted by .

Do you have baseball?

Posted by .

We have baseball but no major league stuff. Most popular big stadium spectator sports are rugby, rugby league, Aussie Rules (fast game played with an oval ball) and increasingly, soccer. Plus cricket…and basketball. Aussies will have a go at most sports.

Posted by .

Now you’re talking about sheer joy for Aussies.
I was just wanting to pick up on the lingo. My dear departed friend used to say the word not allowed her. She was an angel even before. Words flowed like honey from er lips.
Dorothy was actually from British Columbia (Scottish parents) but she always loved Australia.
Yes ~ Aussie Rules!

Posted by .

Tosswank

… that should read she freely used the word not allowed ‘here’. She allowed it allright.

Posted by .

Music to me ears there. We just need a bit more music at the big games! The West Indians know how to turn a cricket match into an even better event - steel drums and a dance band in the back of the stands. Would be good to hear uillean pipes at the MCG…

Posted by .

my ears….

Posted by .

If you have enough bass players, you can play bassball (something fishy about that idea).

It’s a homonym right? Likes bases loaded.
At last nights’ session we had a double bass, electric bass & a 5 - string bass player. Someone was passing around a flask. At the top of the 9th it was baa - da - bing - - bah - da - bang.
Bass’s loaded.

Posted by .

Thank you Random_notes. I have heard that joke before.
I want you to know that I can play bass whether or not I am loaded or unloaded. No, I don’t drink like a fish.

clogstepping ~ What’s an MCG? You’re right about West Indian sports fans having an infectiously festive presence at games. Then there are the Brazilians. Their national team stayed up the road from me for the penultimate week of the ‘94 World Cup. Can jigs, reels, and hornpipes compete with sambas?

Quigs I just caught up with this post. The Melbourne Cricket Ground aka the high temple of Australian cricket. The trick is to live life so’s you can dance (or play for) both jigs and sambas…

Posted by .